Ni And Paye Tax?

JT!

What the hell is NI tax? It means it only about £6 off £500 that i earn a month so it's not big deal, just can't see why it isn't just inculded in the paye tax.

But anyway, main question:

For the first time in my life i've had to pay tax!

However, i've earnt more in a month befor and not had to pay tax, how come i'm paying it now? Like befor, it's only £10 from £500 which isn't much of a big deal.

Also, my tax code is 543L, which i think means you can earn £5430 without paying tax. I think this means if i got over £452 a month a pay tax. BUT, if i quit in a few months, i won't have earned no where near £5430 for that tax year, so will i get my paye tax deductions back?

Also, my tax code is 543L, which i think means you can earn £5430 without paying tax. I think this means if i got over £452 a month a pay tax. BUT, if i quit in a few months, i won't have earned no where near £5430 for that tax year, so will i get my paye tax deductions back?

yea, youll either have to get your p45 and send that to the tax man, or wait till the end of the year, and send your p60(s) to him, to display how much you earned in that year/in that job.

What the hell is NI tax? It means it only about £6 off £500 that i earn a month so it's not big deal, just can't see why it isn't just inculded in the paye tax.

But anyway, main question:

However, i've earnt more in a month befor and not had to pay tax, how come i'm paying it now? Like befor, it's only £10 from £500 which isn't much of a big deal.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to fill out a form at the end of he tax year to get a tax refund. Takes ages for it to come through though as the government really dont want you to have it back

NI=national insurance

Lol. Yeah, just wondering what it is.

yea, youll either have to get your p45 and send that to the tax man, or wait till the end of the year, and send your p60(s) to him, to display how much you earned in that year/in that job.

Okies, thought as much i'll sort it out in a year. :P

I got about £400 tax back for 2 years ago within the space of about 4-5 weeks. I just sent them all my P45's and P60's and a covering letter asking them to review my tax as i was a student most that time and not in full time employment and they did the rest.

I got about £400 tax back for 2 years ago within the space of about 4-5 weeks. I just sent them all my P45's and P60's and a covering letter asking them to review my tax as i was a student most that time and not in full time employment and they did the rest.

thats what i've just done. don't know how P60 works (can't really make much sense of it) so im just sending it all off tomorrow with my payslips and hope to claim £744 over last year and some from the previous tax year...

fingers crossed, i need this PAYE back.

how did you proof that you're a student?

steve

I just phoned them up, told them I didn't have my p45 and they looked it up on their computer. Got a cheque for £600 a few weeks later.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to fill out a form at the end of he tax year to get a tax refund. Takes ages for it to come through though as the government really dont want you to have it back

I used to get emergency taxed, i worked for 3 months or 4, and then soon after that some money appeared in my account and my wage slip no longer said I'd paid tax. Sainsbury's finally did something right :)

As far as i know NI is for NHS and shit like that, basically it pays their wages and stuff, I think...

By paying national insurance you are entitled to NHS treatment, a state pension and other benefits such as statutory sick pay and maternity pay.

I had problems with my tax code last year. I sent them all my own copies of P45's which they then lost. In the end I sent a photocopy of my P60 and a statement of earnings from each previous employer. I then got a cheque for £900 just before christmas :D

more trouble than it's worth.

stopped working a few months ago and i'm still getting billed for NI tax?

bastards

The idea is, that just because you no longer have a job doesn't mean you don't want to carry on paying your NI. The more NI you pay, the better your pension will be. It's only something like £2.50 a week, but the benefits of paying it apparently outweigh the short-term savings :)

The idea is, that just because you no longer have a job doesn't mean you don't want to carry on paying your NI. The more NI you pay, the better your pension will be. It's only something like £2.50 a week, but the benefits of paying it apparently outweigh the short-term savings :)

The state pension isn't worth the paper it's written on at the moment. Although the way it's calculated is due to change in around 10-20 years so the benefits will be much better for us youngs un than it currently is for out grandparents/parents.

I thought that NI could only be deducted through wages?

The state pension isn't worth the paper it's written on at the moment. Although the way it's calculated is due to change in around 10-20 years so the benefits will be much better for us youngs un than it currently is for out grandparents/parents.

I thought that NI could only be deducted through wages?

There are different levels of NI. How else do you think Self Employed people get a pension etc?

Count your self lucky. This month I payed £308.00 Tax and 169.29 NI. Same Tax code as you.

Andy P