Karl Donnellys Skull Proto

Joe@Onza

I know the head tube looks weak, But he has been riding it a few months and I have told him to do as many repetitive harsh hooks as he can and there are no cracks so its looking good.

Rob, Yep its Bango's alright. Might be coming to see you again on Weds.

the only thing that worries me with the headtubes machined like that is the fact that after repetitive hooks and taps, it may start to ovalise, this was my only worry to the zenith frame of waynes that i machined, they may not crack but after abuse id image that it will ovalise slightly, maybe giving problems with the headsets, i.e. not being able to tighten etc.

ash

I know the head tube looks weak, But he has been riding it a few months and I have told him to do as many repetitive harsh hooks as he can and there are no cracks so its looking good.

thats brilliant :lol:

looks a nice frame but Ill be honest - i wouldnt buy one specifically because of the above.

saw that at hook woods....looks reet (Y)

why do they call him bango?!

Think its to do with when he was a kid, Nothing to do with trials.

thats brilliant :lol:

looks a nice frame but Ill be honest - i wouldnt buy one specifically because of the above.

????? Because he is testing one for weakness's in the headtube?

no because the way you have worded it - it sounds like youve designed it to look/weigh what/how much you wanted, then are testing it to see if it works (in a very small number - 1 (?)) Rather than designing it to work and testing it to make sure it works. which doesnt fill me with confidence on what is an expensive piece of equipment.

no because the way you have worded it - it sounds like youve designed it to look/weigh what/how much you wanted, then are testing it to see if it works (in a very small number - 1 (?)) Rather than designing it to work and testing it to make sure it works. which doesnt fill me with confidence on what is an expensive piece of equipment.

Well, Thats the only way you can test it, Unless you use these stress CAD things. The rules of proto typing are: You make one in the design you want. You then test to see if you can build it I.E chain line, Brake mounts Geo are right. Then you test it for weak spots. You then make a few more for more riders to test with any improvements or try out paint jobs. You make then you make production. On off frames cost a lot of money so you all ways start with just the one. People have pointed out their concerns over the head tube, I had concerns too. BUT thats why you test things, It wont be released until its ready for the public. So I would not worry.

In fairness though, they know how to make frames that last 'cos that Slinger proto I had was bomb-proof. If you've got a pretty solid foundation to a frame, and you know what works, why not see how light you can get it? If people don't try stuff out, frame design won't ever progress very far, so it's probably a good thing they're doing testing like this instead of just doing some FEAs and then selling it if the colours are right?

EDIT: I wouldn't really have any concerns about the front of the headtube being machined out either. You don't really stress the headtube outwards like that at virtually any time, and especially not the centre of the tubing. The top-tube and down-tube are going to be holding the top and bottom of the headtube in place properly, and will take a lot more strain that a bit of 1.2mm thick alu (or whatever it is...) would do.

Well, Thats the only way you can test it, Unless you use these stress CAD things. The rules of proto typing are: You make one in the design you want. You then test to see if you can build it I.E chain line, Brake mounts Geo are right. Then you test it for weak spots. You then make a few more for more riders to test with any improvements or try out paint jobs. You make then you make production. On off frames cost a lot of money so you all ways start with just the one. People have pointed out their concerns over the head tube, I had concerns too. BUT thats why you test things, It wont be released until its ready for the public. So I would not worry.

I agree but thats even more reason why that one would be one you are pretty sure can stand up to it (in theory at least). the first statement sounded all abit guesswork and "well, we will have a go" which can be a bit hit and miss in terms of testing (test riders are usually very different to average joe).

In fairness though, they know how to make frames that last 'cos that Slinger proto I had was bomb-proof. If you've got a pretty solid foundation to a frame, and you know what works, why not see how light you can get it? If people don't try stuff out, frame design won't ever progress very far, so it's probably a good thing they're doing testing like this instead of just doing some FEAs and then selling it if the colours are right?

EDIT: I wouldn't really have any concerns about the front of the headtube being machined out either. You don't really stress the headtube outwards like that at virtually any time, and especially not the centre of the tubing. The top-tube and down-tube are going to be holding the top and bottom of the headtube in place properly, and will take a lot more strain that a bit of 1.2mm thick alu (or whatever it is...) would do.

very true, I just think its a bit of a slap dash approach - to just try things out - It works (sometimes) but i just think there are better ways of going about things. Id rather there was some sound engineering reason behind something first. And the posts from joe@onza dont make it sound like there is.

dont get me wrong - i think it looks good and if it works then great - its a winner. Im just not convinced by the design right now.

With the testing for the T-Bone, they pretty much just made a T-Lite out of steel tubing, then me and Olly C just rode them 'til they broke. When they broke, we sent them back, the dudes at Onza scratched their heads a bit, sent some new drawings off to Taiwan and then we'd get another frame back to try. At least you know that if something's wrong they'll either work it out 'til it's sorted or just shelve it? I prefer seeing a testing process like this out in the open, personally.

Come on though, you don't necessarily need fancy stress style Cad to do design work, just a decent brain for designing.

I still can't work out why the 04 T-Pro was released with the closed gusset on the underside of the downtube though, they had been used on mountain bikes for years before that and were known to cause cracks. Mind you, you would have thought that DOB would have learnt from Onza's mistake when they brought their latest frames out, but they didn't.

Edited by Muel

why doesnt the frame have the steel re-enforcement rings round the headtube? does looks mighty thin, but then it still looks very nice.

Might still have them, We just thought it would be better to test it with out them. OBM has the right point with that the only possibly disaster with it is for the head tube to bend in on its self like this....

/

\

....Sorry that was a poor example.

But I doubt that will happen as it should of happened quite early on in testing. Anodized steerer tube will look the sex through it. :D

Come on though, you don't necessarily need fancy stress style Cad to do design work, just a decent brain for designing.

I still can't work out why the 04 T-Pro was released with the closed gusset on the underside of the downtube though, they had been used on mountain bikes for years before that and were known to cause cracks. Mind you, you would have thought that DOB would have learnt from Onza's mistake when they brought their latest frames out, but they didn't.

Muel, That was 4 years ago. Some times things slip from under you.

Edited by Joe@Onza

For the head-tube to crush in like that, you'd also have to crush your steerer tube, and rip the welds around the top-tube and down-tube head-tube joins off too. Pretty unlikely, I'd imagine. With the headset preloaded, and the stem clamped down, the forks and headset are going to basically help strengthen the head-tube in a similar way to the way that with the back end of frames, without a wheel you could lay the frame on it's side and stand on the chainstays and they'd flex in, but with a wheel in they wouldn't. Obviously it's not exactly the same as that, but I really wouldn't have that many worries about the front part of the headtube being machined out. Whether the head-tube joins with the other tubing are strong is the real question, but then that's the same with pretty much every frame now most companies have learnt to make frames that don't crack around by the BB shells.

Muel, That was 4 years ago. Some times things slip from under you.

Sounded a lot harsher than I meant. I just meant that it had been used on mountain bikes in the early 90s and was known to be a problem, but it's an easy thing to miss.

Doesn't matter now, the 07/08 are open at the end aren't they, and non have cracked there to my knowledge.

Back to the new frame anyway, it looks really nice, please make a DD version. :P

With the testing for the T-Bone, they pretty much just made a T-Lite out of steel tubing, then me and Olly C just rode them 'til they broke. When they broke, we sent them back, the dudes at Onza scratched their heads a bit, sent some new drawings off to Taiwan and then we'd get another frame back to try. At least you know that if something's wrong they'll either work it out 'til it's sorted or just shelve it? I prefer seeing a testing process like this out in the open, personally.

I totally agree that the testing needs to be done and is being done. I have no issue with that. But testing can go wrong (and has done in the past) - not everyone is / rides the same... Id just prefer it if the design didnt look and sound (more importantly for me) like theyve just looked at the boxx vincent cut up and thought - well if it works for him? when its his race only superbike...

just my opinion - i still think its a great looking bike and if it works then onza have done well.

Edited by manuel