A Pedal Warning

1a2bcio8

Hello,

Thought I would warn you all away from Atomlab G.I. Pedals (sealed). I bought these a couple of months ago and they have performed terribly. The pedal frames move along the length of the spindle, with which no tightening of the outer bolt with resolve. In fact, tightening of that bolt will just cause the pedal to not spin - the movement that you actually want. The pedal frame will frequently fall off of the spindle, which is really quite dangerous. Basically the outer bolt seems to be undone by the movement of the pedal frame. The pedals make loads of noise from the inescapable movement.

I can't remember the exact way in which pedals are 'usually' put together but I think they normally have an internal bolt or nut or something to avvoid this problem? These pedals do not have that. They cost me £40 and are a complete waste of money. It's somewhat of a shame in the sense that the frame is of a nice size and quite grippy. In the absence of these problems, the pedal could have been good but it is not. I am going to try and get a refund or exchange these pedals with CRC, who have interestingly discontinued them. They are still sold elsewhere though.

Be warned!

Ben

I saw Ben's pedals yesterday and they really are dodgy! The bearings are sealed but the pedal only seems to be held together by an allen bolt in the end. Usually pedals have a locking nut on the outside of the axle so everything stays tight but that's not the case with these. As ben says- avoid!

Sounds as though there is no locknut holding the bearings on to the shaft :ermm:

When you say the outer bolt, do you mean the end cap on the pedals? On dmr V12s this was needed a 6mm allen key to undo it and there was a separate locknut underneath that held the pedal onto the spindle, if the locknut has come loose the pedal body will be able to move on the shaft.

This is a quick autocad sketch I did showing a rough section through a pedal, in this case a dmr v12 with a ball race on the outside and plain bush on the inside - I suspect the atomlab pedals are similar.

If you take the endcap off is the locknut tight? The locknut holds the ball race onto the shaft and the end cap holds the ball race into the pedal body. Check the locknut is tight, if it is and the pedal body can still move with the end cap screwed in then there is probably a manufacturing or assembly defect :)

PEDAL.JPG

Sounds as though there is no locknut holding the bearings on to the shaft :ermm:

When you say the outer bolt, do you mean the end cap on the pedals? On dmr V12s this was needed a 6mm allen key to undo it and there was a separate locknut underneath that held the pedal onto the spindle, if the locknut has come loose the pedal body will be able to move on the shaft.

This is a quick autocad sketch I did showing a rough section through a pedal, in this case a dmr v12 with a ball race on the outside and plain bush on the inside - I suspect the atomlab pedals are similar.

If you take the endcap off is the locknut tight? The locknut holds the ball race onto the shaft and the end cap holds the ball race into the pedal body. Check the locknut is tight, if it is and the pedal body can still move with the end cap screwed in then there is probably a manufacturing or assembly defect :)

There is only an end cap, no lock nut whatsoever. The end cap holds everything together. That, it would seem, is the intended design...

Edited by rowly

Mine fell apart the other day after having them for about a month, i was pretty stoked however mine were the aircorp pedals which jave the terrible design of the use of a circlip to keep the pedal cage on the pedal axle!

Edited by Cookyboy