Barbed Fitting Lube?

Joemuz

For fitting the barbed thingy, you can adapt and follow the instructions shown here:

http://shop.cleanbikes.co.uk/monty-hose-splitter-121-p.asp

The olive should just fit straight over the top, but they can't be reused. Are you using standard black maggy hosing? For braided you need different fittings normally.

No lube required.

As for the olive - it goes over the hose, not inside - you squash it on with the shroud nut (Y)

So i just put the olive in the cylinder and then the hose and tighten the shround nut into the cylinder ??

For fitting the barbed thingy, you can adapt and follow the instructions shown here:

http://shop.cleanbikes.co.uk/monty-hose-splitter-121-p.asp

The olive should just fit straight over the top, but they can't be reused. Are you using standard black maggy hosing? For braided you need different fittings normally.

Im using standard hosing and i only have used olives lol thats probably why i cant get it on :P

Cheers, Joemuz

will putting the bit of hose i want the barbed fitting on in boiling water help?

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

You don't need to bother with boiling water, even using lube isn't necessary!

You will need a couple of new olives. :P

I tried tapping the fitting in with a hammer, the hose was in a vice but it just kinked the hose.

Anything else i can try?

Did you use the proper clamps? To fit in the vice and hold it steady?

You can make some out of wood, drill a hole the right size in a piece of wood, cut it in half and then sand down the surfaces a bit.

Also, you only need 5mm poking out, tap it in, then move the hose up a bit more.

Did you use the proper clamps? To fit in the vice and hold it steady?

You can make some out of wood, drill a hole the right size in a piece of wood, cut it in half and then sand down the surfaces a bit.

Also, you only need 5mm poking out, tap it in, then move the hose up a bit more.

You need to have the hose sticking out the clamps otherwise when you tap the barb in it splits the hose >_<

A drop of normal chain oil or similar on the barb will lube it fine, I wouldnt worry about the oil comtaminating your bleed, afterall oil and water dont mix (unless you add an emulsifier) and neither are compressable under magura pressures so it wont affect it :)

use a few inches of spoke and a nipple. thread the nipple on to the cut off spoke. put the hose in a vice with the little blocks you get with the bleed kit, or similar. stick the nippled spoke through the barbed fitting and into the hose. then just tap the nipple/barb with a hammer and it'll go in nice and straight thanks to the spoke keeping it straight.

i read it on OTN, pics somewhere...

i used a lil smear of vaseline....wont contaminate the bleed and works a treat

Same here, works a treat :D

use a few inches of spoke and a nipple. thread the nipple on to the cut off spoke. put the hose in a vice with the little blocks you get with the bleed kit, or similar. stick the nippled spoke through the barbed fitting and into the hose. then just tap the nipple/barb with a hammer and it'll go in nice and straight thanks to the spoke keeping it straight.

i read it on OTN, pics somewhere...

I'll have to try that next time I do one!