Newb Question:what's The Difference Between A Freehub And A Fixed

BB=Bottom bracket

Threads are the rings on bolts and in frames/cranks/axels etc that you screw things into*

Wiki or RSM would have done though ;)

*Please excuse the shit description, couldn't think if how to word it >_<

No thats a cool description, i searched wiki but i couldn't find it?

Joe

well sorry but i clicked the topic before your post was up then i went on google to find a pic of some threads but couldnt find any good ones so when i eventually went to click add reply your post wasnt up cos i dent refresh the page.

A free hub is to be used with a fixed front sprocket

It has a ratchet system where by it is forced to turn by the front sprocket.

A free hub is to be used with a front free wheel "FFW"

a free wheel uses the same system a free hub, but the fixed sprocket is on the rear instead!

that's a crap explanation,

sorry!

:)

instead off having a freewheel on the back on a normal bike,

the freewheel is on the front on the cranks, so when the fixed (fixed= A cog that is screw onto the rear hub that doesnt move either way) reear wheel spins it drives the freewheel at the front and the chain moves when you dont pedal, Pedal backwards the chain doesnt move :)

Freehub is the freewheel built into the back hub, and instead off a freewheel on the cranks you have a fixed sprocket so when you stop pedaling the chain does not go round, like front freewheel (Y) This is more similar to a normal mountain bike, pedal backwards the chain goes backwards.

:)

if your thinking about buying either, get a profile or chris king for a mod, and a pro2 or king for a stick. there the only freehubs worth getting for trials. if you choose a ffw enos, tensiles and kox/tryalls ae the way to go. freehubs make chains last longer ;)