Backflip On A Mtb?

austen

I've backflipped A dmr sidekick, Monty X-lite, loads of bmx's and a 14" wheel bmx B) . You'll not do it first try i promise. I know amazing, AMAZING, riders, that are 100% sure they can do them, then go to the foam and realise they just haven't got that bit in their head that allows them to go upside down and not jump off.

Before or after ashton. :P

Id strongly recommend not making your first attempt onto something solid. Ive spent more than enough time at Corby foam pit to know that basically no one makes it round first time. I've seen probably 30 people make first attempts and they all seem to back out fractionally before taking off, meaning they have no chance of getting round and just land upside down or usually on their back. I took 2 attempts before I could make myself commit, and another about 3 attempts to get the technique close enough that Id possibly ride away. Took probably 20 attempts before I could confidently know Id ride out of it.

Id also like to add that each time Ive been back to Corby since learning, the first attempt at flipping has been terrible, and if they had been onto solid ground I would have very seriously injured myself. Flips are serious tricks, even once you've landed one, come back a week later and you're first one is still likely to be crappy enough to hurt yourself.

Mike.

corbys sweet. did you get it on the resi after?

on my skates i learnt front flips in the foam, then the resi, but i still wimped out on the ramp even though i landed every single one staight up. got a cab front on the 14ft vert though :D fun shit!

Edited by Bearded Midget

This thread sucks. Either try the flip, or don't.

Why look at it then? and i am trying it on saturday. I ony started this thread to ask for pointers, and so far pretty much everyone has helped, so thanks guys :P

What you might want to do is make yourself a soft landing, losse packed dirt maybe. Also you might wanna try it on a table top first if theres one at your jumps. Also over rotating is gonna be better than under rotating, at least your gonna right way up(sorta). But i must say you have serious balls trying them first on dirt. Remember to film it aswell

good luck

Yeah ill make it loose dirt, unfortunatly there isnt any table tops :angry: and yeah ill get it on film and post it up (Y)e8kgnp.jpg

thats them ^

Edited by austen

Id recomend putting something in the middle of it then because your are going to bail just got at them like your hairs on fire and you'll make it round. I tryed on a 16" full suspension thing went ok didnt land it but didnt hurt myself. And that was on jumps that wouldnt qulify for mole hills.

Just wondering what bike have you got

Edited by dan_addison

Id recomend putting something in the middle of it then because your are going to bail just got at them like your hairs on fire and you'll make it round. I tryed on a 16" full suspension thing went ok didnt land it but didnt hurt myself. And that was on jumps that wouldnt qulify for mole hills.

Just wondering what bike have you got

LOL Fair play to you man!

I have a dmr ^_^2hcdwy0.jpg

LOL.

Hats off to you Austen, I'd not have the balls to even try it so good luck!

Sweet DMR by the way, you might have noticed I love my DMRs!

yeah i may have the balls to try it but, i wont have any ball left after trying it :giggle:

yeah i have noticed you love them , good on you! There quality bikes! :)

What forks are they mate DJ's or Drop Offs? or MX even?

There the 2005 dirt jumper 3's, they are solid! I've snapped every other pair of forks i've had, but these are still going strong :) mind you i only got them like 4 months ago or somthing :giggle:

There the 2005 dirt jumper 3's, they are solid! I've snapped every other pair of forks i've had, but these are still going strong :) mind you i only got them like 4 months ago or somthing :giggle:

Cool, what are they like? I have the 2008 DJ3's and I'm not awfully impressed... they are alright for factory fit ones I guess :)

My mate snapped the middle connector thing that goes above the wheel (i dunno how to explain it, looks like a front booster lol) doing a foot high 180 out of a fly out at Harrow :turned: Then he got DJ1s and snapped them sharpish aswell :lol: Smooth rider so musta just been super bad luck.

So Ashton did a backflip on a trials bike ? :o:S ?

Vid any one ?

LOL, behind the times?

And DJ3s, I have snapped the arch on two pairs.....

also, your pretty stupid to be honest, fair play for thinking of trying it... But upside down, were talking necks and backs, these are things you DO NOT want to break... it can kill you or paralyse you....

seriously just go to a park with a foam pit.

Cool, what are they like? I have the 2008 DJ3's and I'm not awfully impressed... they are alright for factory fit ones I guess

They are amazing! I have them pumped up quite hard at the moment and they just feel so nice, there not the lightest of forks but they are the best! I had a shot of my mates 2008 Dj3's and they were crap and felt horrible, and he manageed to burst them like jumping a four set which everyone leanrs to do when they are about 5?

Oh yeah post up a pic of your dmr, The scientist?

So Ashton did a backflip on a trials bike ? ?

Vid any one ?

I think thats it. The video wouldnt actualy load up on my computer cause my internet is being gay, but it says martyn ashton backflip so im guessing thats it :turned:

also, your pretty stupid to be honest, fair play for thinking of trying it... But upside down, were talking necks and backs, these are things you DO NOT want to break... it can kill you or paralyse you....

Yeah I know i dont want to break them, thats why i decided to wear body armour aswell, i wasnt going to but i'd rather be safe than sorry :P

Edited by austen

As far as marzocchi DJ's are concirned, I've got some 2007 DJ3s on my 250 with a 20mm axle, and they're lush. The 20mm axle is pretty essential though, those M-arch's are useless without a good old bolt through.

I'm just another person who recons a foam pits a good idea, or atleast a lake jump. But if you really dont want to, like people have said, chuck a lot of fresh soft dirt/straw on the landing, and make sure the landing isnt too defined or steep, and is nice and forgiving if you come up short.

I wish I had the guts to try stuff like this. I'm constantly riding well bellow my skill level, just because I'm a bit of a pussy when it somes to dirt. haha.

There's no real way of softening up a double landing though, which is why it's a really, really shitty idea to try and learn them over a double. Seriously, you have no idea how fast you need to go, and no real idea how it'll feel to do it, so doing it on anything other than a jumpbox/foampit/tabletop is a properly bad idea.