Motorbikes..

sidehop

Now i know alot of you are bike maniacs so, Me being 16 now and i need transport for college soon.

I am 16, but need to know what kinda bike i would be looking at i know it wil be 50cc but really thats about it.. Looking for a manual due to the fact i can ride a manual....

Also think i want a bike more than a ped.

So advice please.

Also links to prices ( Second hand ) and bikes.

Cheers,

Chizz

Why not use the Motorbike Thread?

Derbi Sendas are real nice bikes, rode a few of my mates. The Aprilia rs50's are fast, but so unreliable, mates have had endless problems with them.

Old dt50's, built like tanks. Gilera things, can't remember the model but look like suzuki tr50's, they are sweet but not very reliable.

Will edit when I speak to my mate.

derbi senda and gilera smt for crossers, but ive heard there unrealible, same with rs, fast bikes but some can be fine some can be a bag of shit

ive got a piaggio nrg (ped)and it does me fine 50mph on the flat plenty enough but obviosly if you want speed gears is the way to go.

also dt 50's rare but good, and also theres a 50cc derbi manual, looks like a rs but is faster i think, forget its name.

'cause i wanted some advice here. So it didnt get mixed up ?

Anyway, Thanks.. Ill have a look at those bikes man..

Other help is good ta

That's like my making a new thread because I'm happy about having a bacon and egg sandwich just now, and not putting it in the Happy thread not to mix it up.

That's what it's for, you should really use the motorbike thread. Search through it, there's loads of info on there and linking to prices you can do yourself!

That's like my making a new thread because I'm happy about having a bacon and egg sandwich just now, and not putting it in the Happy thread not to mix it up.

Happy Thread is wank anyway. Besides, if you're having egg and bacon, you may aswell ram some sausages in too.

Buy a cheap bike. You're going to throw it away when you're 17 and buy something bigger.

Oh yeah, the bike... sorry I was too busy drooling over bacon and egg sandwiches. Depends on how much you want to spend I guess. As Kool says you're just going to sell it 12 months down the line but if you choose wisely you should be able to make your money back pretty much and have some fun too.

They all sound like hairdryers but something like this would be fun for a while...

owntage.jpg

Aprilia MX50/new ones are SX50's.

Typically college won't let me view that pic, but my mate has an aprillia MX50, it's not bad for a 50, does wheelies and stoppies and 55mph. Gets you about a damn site faster than a scooter, and can go offroad.

Typically college won't let me view that pic, but my mate has an aprillia MX50, it's not bad for a 50, does wheelies and stoppies and 55mph. Gets you about a damn site faster than a scooter, and can go offroad.

there y'are then

get an aprillia mx50

Bike to go for is a yamaha TZR50 as they look great as its based on a yamaha R1 and their pretty reliable if they arnt ragged to pieces. What people seem not to realise is that they only have a mincy 50cc engine so dont expect amazing results. Its better than walking and riding a push bike. I was looking into buy an RS50 but then decided to scrap the bike idea and get a car. I didn't actually need a bike at all, everywhere I needed to go was near me.

Are you looking for a particular style of bike? Such as super motards, such as the suggested MX50 or actual bikes like RS50s and TZR50s.

Also are you looking to buy new or second hand. If you want new... dont bother. 50cc bikes depreciate like your pants being pulled down. A brand new RS would cost about 2200 new and in 3 years time would be worth 900ish. Also because 50cc are mostly used by 16year olds, they are only ever kept for that period until that person gets something bigger or a car. So high numbers of previous owners are common. look around on ebay and search 50cc bikes as theres a lot to choose from. But remember to pick one that hasnt been ragged. So try and find a low mileage one.

Bike to go for is a yamaha TZR50 as they look great as its based on a yamaha R1 and their pretty reliable if they arnt ragged to pieces. What people seem not to realise is that they only have a mincy 50cc engine so dont expect amazing results. Its better than walking and riding a push bike. I was looking into buy an RS50 but then decided to scrap the bike idea and get a car. I didn't actually need a bike at all, everywhere I needed to go was near me.

TZRs are basically a RS50 in a pretty frock lmao. Have the same engine and brakes as a RS50, same carb same this n that and are made in spain lol. But yeah anyway....

DONT GET A PED is my first bit of advice, as if a 50 doesnt sound bad enough, a geared one most people can deal with. Ignore the comments about 50s sounding like a hairdryer too, you can actually make 50s sound alright if thats what annoys you with an air filter and an exhaust. One bit of advice when buying a 50 is make sure EVERYTHING is sweet on it, i didnt do that and ended up with a bit of a shitter and had to replace a lot of the bits. If you want speed, go for aprilia as they have the fastest engine (Minarelli AM6), but dont go for makes such as Rieju, Motorhispania or other makes you havent heard of. If you want reliability, get a derbi. I cant stress how bulletproof the engines are and to be honest if i had the choice to start again i wouldve gone for a derbi senda.

my second bit of advice is DONT SPEND TOO MUCH. At the end of the day its a 50 and some bits are going to need replacing, the £1100 bike might seem good but just remember its going to probably need the same bits that the £900 bike will. Also a big part of 50s is mileage, you want something thats quite low for its year, working it out to be about 3000km per year on a bike means its not been ridden too much, and if it is high mileage then make sure its had a rebuild and try and get some history on the bike. this derbi senda is quite good, should go for about 7-800 and is roughly what your looking for to be honest. Although this rs50 should go for about £800 and would be a good buy at that price.

Third bit of advice is GEAR. These bikes will hurt if you come off and you will know about it. I always ride in a textile jacket, helmet obviously and gloves, although i should really get some boots too. Also dont forget insurance, cheapest places i know are ebikeinsurance, devitt, bennetts, MCE and lexham. Third party fire and theft is best insurance to get really.

Overall i think 50s are good if you dont go mad and spend millions of pounds on one, most of the geared bikes WILL do 60mph derestricted and i know for a fact they will. If someones selling a bike and says it does 80 with not a lot of mods walk away, although if it has a 70cc kit, 21mm carb an exhaust and heavy gearing i might believe it.

So yeah basically, spend about £800-900 on a bike, get some proper safety gear and have fun. Dont bother buying too many mods as they make your bike unreliable, for mine i got a bigger front sprocket for more top end and an arrow exhaust, sensible mods imo. If you like, PM me and i will give you my msn, and we can chat on there? :)

Edited by Joe Sheehan!

have any of you guy's with 'fast' 50's been stopped for going more than 33 or whatever your restricted to?

I know at least one guy in aberdeen was stopped going 45 and his bike was crushed because he wasn't insured as soon as he went more than than 33. bit of a bitch. banned from driving/riding for 2 years aged 16 doesn't sound fun to me.

I've already told you all I know about 50's over msn.

have any of you guy's with 'fast' 50's been stopped for going more than 33 or whatever your restricted to?

I know at least one guy in aberdeen was stopped going 45 and his bike was crushed because he wasn't insured as soon as he went more than than 33. bit of a bitch. banned from driving/riding for 2 years aged 16 doesn't sound fun to me.

I've already told you all I know about 50's over msn.

Yeah one of me and sheehans mates had a 70cc kit put on his TZR and was caught with it a few weeks after putting it on. He was made to split his bike up and sell it for spares. Im pretty sure he was bollocked for it but I dont know exactly what happend to him. But hes got a Rs125 now hes 17 so I don't think hes completely banned.

Yeah one of me and sheehans mates had a 70cc kit put on his TZR and was caught with it a few weeks after putting it on. He was made to split his bike up and sell it for spares. Im pretty sure he was bollocked for it but I dont know exactly what happend to him. But hes got a Rs125 now hes 17 so I don't think hes completely banned.

How did they find out he had a 70cc kit on?