Having a bit of a problem with my chain keep coming loose, I'm Using:

-Echo 6061 forged cranks

-Echo 18t 72 ep frewheel

-Onza-T-Master/Onza T-pro rear hub

-Echo/onza 12 screw on cog

-KMC cool chain

-ZHI snail cams

-Long 06 GU

The problem is, the chain is either too tight, or too loose and how ever tight i do the rear axel bolts up, the Snail cams still move about from the position i set them in :S

I never had this problem with my previous Hub which was exactly the same :S

Any one got any idea what it could be ? :S

Are you running the cams on the inside or outside of the dropouts? On my Monty, I run the left one on the outside of the dropout and have to be careful to make sure that the hole in the cam locates on the axle end as I tighten the bolts. Otherwise the bolts just tighten the cam onto the end of the axle rather than clamping everything into the frame... does that make sense?

Most people who i know who run cams have the same problem, including myself! I set my chain tension perfect, after about 5 kicks, its back like your nans tits (not aimed at anyone).

Thats why i have bodged myself a tensioner, like a propper one! Easy to do! Ill put up pics and decsription of mine if you like. Or you could buy a propper one, like a 74kingz one or something?

I know your not by yourself with the saggy chain problems though!

Owen

I have seen this problem on a fair few mods to be honest. It always confuses me as to why it does it, what I noticed the majority of riders doing was setting there chain at a really tight tension, then once you do a few pedal hops...The chain will slacken off and hopefully be at the tension you want it to be.

You could also give chain tugs a try and see if it makes any difference.

Chaintugs are the sensible option if snailcams arent working :)

Not sure if you can get Tugs on my frame to be honest.

Are you running the cams on the inside or outside of the dropouts? On my Monty, I run the left one on the outside of the dropout and have to be careful to make sure that the hole in the cam locates on the axle end as I tighten the bolts. Otherwise the bolts just tighten the cam onto the end of the axle rather than clamping everything into the frame... does that make sense?

Makes sense Yeh :) Unfortunatlel though, i can't run them on the outside as far as i know, gay CNCing going on :S

Most people who i know who run cams have the same problem, including myself! I set my chain tension perfect, after about 5 kicks, its back like your nans tits (not aimed at anyone).

Thats why i have bodged myself a tensioner, like a propper one! Easy to do! Ill put up pics and decsription of mine if you like. Or you could buy a propper one, like a 74kingz one or something?

I know your not by yourself with the saggy chain problems though!

Owen

Tis a pain in the arse to be honest, can't ride more than 10 minutes without it happening, Pics and a description would be Lovely :wub:

I have seen this problem on a fair few mods to be honest. It always confuses me as to why it does it, what I noticed the majority of riders doing was setting there chain at a really tight tension, then once you do a few pedal hops...The chain will slacken off and hopefully be at the tension you want it to be.

Tried that. Didn't work :(

It's not so much the chain been too tight/loose that annoys me, it's the constant rubbing of the tyre on the frame that annoys me, it's gonna wear a hole one day :ermm:

Cheers for the advice Guys (Y)

Anymore ideas :( ?

Just went out for a ride on my bike with the bodged tensioner! Works really well, but still needs tweeking!

Stuff needed:

a spoke, maybe two

two or three cable ties

plyers

screwdriver (maybe)

Thats it!

Right. start by bending the spoke to an angle between 45 and 90 degree's about a third of the way down the spoke. Then, bend the very end of the spoke up (to allow the tensioner to work forwards and backwards). Next, cable tie the end that hasnt been bent over to your chainstay, with the bent angle pointing down towards and past your chain, pull the posh tensioner (spoke) onto your chain, pushing it down. Pull the cable ties tighter with plyers and a screw driver (or whatever) to stop it from moving as much. And bish bash bosh, you have yourself an owen tensioner!

Ill get pics later!

Hope this helps, if not tell me and il explain it better!

Owen

Edited by _Owen.

Here you go, but only because you begged :shifty:

dsc01805eh9.th.jpg

dsc01807fz9.th.jpg

dsc01810fk2.th.jpg

Jobs a good'un

Bare in mine its only realyl in prototype at the moment. For the next one i think im going to bend the spoke round the chain, so that it almost hugs the chain. But for now, that is working really well, and as its tucked away, i havent yet landed on it!

Owen

It works surprisingly well to be honest! So far i havent had any problems with it, just occasionally i have to bend it down a bit more for better tension, but thats it really.

Used it on about 2-3 small rides now, and seems to be fine, and because its tucked away behind the chainstay almost, i havent yet landed on it!

Owen

I shall try that, my chain is forever working loose. I have no idea how, I set the tension perfect, and do the bolts up good and tight, to no avail.

Only problem i've found upto now is that if you're cycling a long way then it does slow you down to an extent.

I must say though, it makes a lovely sound :wub:

For anyone that cares, i bent a spoke and Clamped it in the dropout, works immensely :o

Owen, you legend :D:)(Y)

Haha, you have to spread the word that its called an Owen chain tensioner!!

Only problem i've found upto now is that if you're cycling a long way then it does slow you down to an extent.

I must say though, it makes a lovely sound :wub:

Well when riding along you could always just take the spoke off the chain, so you can still go rapid (if thats possible on a trials bike)

Yeahh mine sounds like i got two freewheels now ^_^

Owen