Ashton For Sports Personality Of The Year

the croft

I wanna be the 1st to put my opinion that Martyn Ashton should be Nominated for sports personality of the year!!!

Lets See if we Can find out how to get him Nominated and then on telly !!!!!!

Its about time he got some Real praise for all he has done for us and the sport!!!!!

Mmmkay. Not knocking Mart 'cos he's a really nice chap and a great rider, but... against the Hamilton's, Calzaghe's, Toseland's etc etc he wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting near the TV. There's also the added point that he was World Champ in 1995. That's nearly 13 years ago, don't think you could warrant putting him forward as personality of the year 2008 to be honest. Dougie Lampkin only just made it into the finals a few years back and he totally dominated the sport for around 6/7 years winning something crazy like 14 consecutive World Titles (indoor/outdoor).

You'd be better trying to get someone like Ben Savage through, seeing as he was World Master Champion in 2006... But it wouldn't happen because trials is tooooo small. Sorry :)

I'm not taking the piss but I think Ben Savage would be out of the question for sports personality as he doesn't seem particularly out-going. (I don't know him personally, just what I gather)

Phil

As much as I'd get behind the Ashton vote, and support him/want him to win, I agree with the point made about trials being too small/unpublicised to create a winner, especially when more mainstream and recent sports and events dominate the media, and as such, the votes.

The bloke's done a huge amount for our sport, and continues to do stuff. Utter hero!