Chainless Bicycle Technology.... Check It Out

Rusevelt

I stumbled on this site by chance whilst at work. it features a new form of bicycle technology which uses a drive shaft (like in a motor vehicle) instead of a chain. the result, more pedal power transfer without having the leg power of tour de france bike legend Lance Armstrong. will this wonderful piece of tech ever reach trials, probably not though it would be interesting to see the advantages of these rigs close up. cant provide a link to this site on my work pc at the moment so if anyone reads this topic i would certainly appreciate it, otherwise ill do later today. www.dynamicbicycles.com

Edited by Rusevelt

How have they patented a shaft drive system? That's exactly what's been used on cars and some motorbikes for nearly 100 years surely?! A little unecessary for push bikes I'd have thought but a nice little addition to a cruiser type bike. Wouldn't think there's any future in trials because it would put a lot of stress through small bevel gears and is likely to end up heavier than a chained setup, as Endohopper has mentioned.

seems a bit of overkill right now, but im sure with correct devolepment, which it wont have, due to the large costs involved, it could be a decent option to a chain driven set up.

got to bear in mind, that with development, the front bit of it with the front differential unit in it, could quite easily function as a BB, with the shaft routed down the chainstay, and straight to the rear hub, and if the ratchet mecahnism was in the bb unit, this would be a fixed rear hub, therefore lighter.

so youve got the removal of a chain, an 18t sprocket, a bashring, a 15t sprocket,a tensioner, and the rear freehub unit. thats a fair bit of weight removed, granted it probably isnt quite as much as is added, but theres not much in it is should imagine, add the clearance benefits etc, and if the idea was developed i could see it working.

this is before i mention fitting it to a bike with a heavy 8 speed cassette, a stupid long chain, 2 derailleurs, 2 rings and a bashring up front.

but as its a small scale company, i cant see it getting very far.

I recall a 2 wheel drive system some years ago (about when Slingshots first made an appearance) where a bevel drive was routed to a front driven hub via a flexible cable - I guess a bit like a mechanical speedo cable but geared on the ends. Needless to say it didn't take off.

I recall a 2 wheel drive system some years ago (about when Slingshots first made an appearance) where a bevel drive was routed to a front driven hub via a flexible cable - I guess a bit like a mechanical speedo cable but geared on the ends. Needless to say it didn't take off.

Yep, I saw one of them, made it a two wheel drive, the idea was pretty good, but never saw one ever again.

Yep, I saw one of them, made it a two wheel drive, the idea was pretty good, but never saw one ever again.
yeah i saw that 2 wheel drive mtb in mountain bike action magazine a few years back. never saw the light of day in production terms due to expense.

Check the relative efficiencies of bevel gears and chain drive - gears are crappy by comparison, so the only benefit is the potential to increase service intervals or allow drivetrain efficiency to be maintained in very muddy conditions. Have a look at the Millyard DH bike for a far better solution to this problem - full enclosed chain drive run through the rear swingarm :)...