Weird Snapped Magura

tartan pixie

Finally got myself a proper trials bike, an onza zoot. Was setting it up for my 1st ride and this happened as i was adjusting the brake lever:

post-16854-1204751497_thumb.jpg

The bolt isn't particularly tight and hasn't stripped or anything so i'm guessing it's a manufacturing fault. Has anyone had the lever crack like this before? Will be taking it back to the shop tomorrow if anyone's got advice on waranties etc.

Loving the feel of the bike but can't go on a proper ride till the lever's sorted :angry:

It's because the lever bolt was too tight. Alot have gone like that i think.

The bolt closes that opening allowing it to clamp around the bar, surely magura have a design fault, as the bolt is effectively just pulling itself away from the clamp/body, as well as showing how shit the metal is that they make the brakes from :@

Yeah, it happened to my mate who lives down the road from me, exactly the same thing happened... Isn't so much over tightening, as it really had nothing ridiculous done to it with an allen key when it snapped just a bog set of maggies methinks

Just send it back and they should replace it no bother (Y)

Edited by Rob Thomson

When setting them up, just use the ball end of the allen key, and they should be tight enough so that they can move on the bar, then when you fall off it will move, which could save it from snapping.

It looks like a defect with the lever, We have had one of them come through and snapped exactly the same place as yours whiles still in the packaging.

Simple send it back to Magura UK and they should give you a replacement free of charge(Y), You might have to cover postage, but its nothing to worry about:)

Abit of a bummer when stuff like this happens on a ride:(, hope you get it sorted(Y)

If you have any troubles give me a shout and I'l be more then happy to help you out(Y)

Out of interest, did you tighten the bolt further after it snapped? Doesn't look much of a gap between the snapped bit of clamp and the main body, like the gap is completely closed if you know what I mean?

Probably just the angle of the picture and my crappy eyes though! hehe

would the gap not be in between the two parts of the clamp?

and not the bolt and one side of the clamp?

not sure,

poped into my head!

:)

Erm, I think I explained it badly! lol

The two halves of the clamp (that are there when it isn't snapped! hehe) would normally be separated by some air, even when tight?

As it's snapped I'd expect a gap between the underside of the bolt head and the face of the snapped piece of clamp it normally pushes on if there is no gap where there's normally a gap.

Argh, I'm confusing myself now! Billy Connoly is distracting me!

I think not, I think you just tightened it too much. I've had at least 3 of those levers and haven't had problems with a single one. Used one for about a year and a half too.

All i meant was for the amount of weight you save from having the split clamp design id rather they just kept the desing (of the clamp) the same as the 04.

And before anyone says why not just buy an 04, i tried but couldnt find them anywhere!