Back Disk Or Not

zoopithon

From the rear disk trials bikes i have rode, I think they are really nice!

Pros.

Hold better then maguras when wet.

They have a nice bite and dont slip.

Very low maintenance.

Cons.

Easy to bend disk.

Have been know to help crack frames around the chain stays.

I personally would run a disk for natural riding and run a magura for street riding. (Y)

Gary.

The only cons for a rear disc that anyone can ever say to me are that you can bend the disc when a sidehop goes wrong, (you can bend them back with you fingers), and that they don't bite/hold as well as a maggy, (bollocks, they shit all over every maggy I have ever used).

There is a down side, you can feel the wheel flexing, but you get used to it and don't even notice after a while.

The only cons for a rear disc that anyone can ever say to me are that you can bend the disc when a sidehop goes wrong, (you can bend them back with you fingers), and that they don't bite/hold as well as a maggy, (bollocks, they shit all over every maggy I have ever used).

There is a down side, you can feel the wheel flexing, but you get used to it and don't even notice after a while.

not sure about the wheel flexing but they don't hold as well as a maggy i just love the maggy brake levers they feel so much easier

No, they don't hold as well as a maggy, they hold better.

I have used loads of different maggies, including:

2x Rock Blues, heavy grind, booster, 1 with an adamant blade.

2x Citrus Pads medium/heavy grind.

1x Rock Blues, tar.

Not to mention all the other brakes that my mates have used.

I have had 2 Mono Trials, both 160mm, both are much, much more powerful than any maggy I have ever used. They bite really well, but are not as instant, and the rear wheel can flex foward and backward.

Disc owns.

not sure about the wheel flexing but they don't hold as well as a maggy i just love the maggy brake levers they feel so much easier

Surely, it'd depend on what disc brake setup your using to how 'easy' it feels?

It's a fact that discs work better than Maguras. There's no comparison, they're better in every aspect.

No, they don't hold as well as a maggy, they hold better.

I have used loads of different maggies, including:

2x Rock Blues, heavy grind, booster, 1 with an adamant blade.

2x Citrus Pads medium/heavy grind.

1x Rock Blues, tar.

Not to mention all the other brakes that my mates have used.

I have had 2 Mono Trials, both 160mm, both are much, much more powerful than any maggy I have ever used. They bite really well, but are not as instant, and the rear wheel can flex foward and backward.

Disc owns.

Cnc Coust or Cnc Reds would shit over disc

Surely, it'd depend on what disc brake setup your using to how 'easy' it feels?

It's a fact that discs work better than Maguras. There's no comparison, they're better in every aspect.

your right it would depend on what brake setup you run i think they are better than maggies aswell

Must say my huge disc is holding up better than any maggy I ever had and just feels great to boot, I'm not too fussed about the danger of bending my disc as not really into the sidehops. Gotta say aswell I feel it has made me ride much smoother as it's not the same as maggies where the brake is either on or off.

Edited by ZeroMatt