How Can I Loosen My Freewheel?

Sir_Hops_Alot

I said how to do this in your last thread.

Get a bolt and a load of washers suitable for bolting the tool into the crank arm/freewheel.

Put the tool in a vice and lamp it up. Hit the handle with a hammer, it needs to be very tight.

The crank arm should be aligned so it is pointing to the left, facing upwards. (Freewheel down).

If your arsed about your crank getting scratched, chop up and inner tube and put a couple of pieces on the crank arm.

Slip a long bar/tube over the crank arm, and pull it towards you.

I use a 5 foot long bar, and it comes off with barely any effort. So 2/3 foot and more effort would be fine.

I'll wiki this at some point, I have pics ready.

Whats with all these topics? :P

Did you bolt the tool to the crank / Freewheel? And still snapped teeth?

What size bar you using to get that sort of force?

You may need to take freewheel apart to find another way of gripping thread or even (last resort) crack inner freewheel thread off with hammer and chisel?

Well the spanner is about a foot long and the bar was about two and a half foot, so all in all it's about three and a half foot in length.

Having the bar on the end of the spanner is a bad idea, u should really have it covering most of the spanner to reduce the risk of it slipping, also if u are having to give it beef look were u will land if you do slip etc.

Heating it is another possible way, but most components are made up of different alloys/materials so could possibly make it worse/potentially weaken your parts.

If you dont intend on using the freewheel again remove the lock ring, strip it all down till your left with just the body this makes it much easier to hold in a vice, depending on what the internals are made up of it could be possible to split it or if you are extremely carefull it may be possible to remove with a angle grinder/dremmel.

P.S. chances are using a powertool will fu*k ur cranks if you are in-experienced

No spanner should be involved!

Follow my instructions, bolt the tool in really securely, then put the bar on the crank arm!

I have done it 3 times, it works perfectly every time.

Was it bolted in?

Edited by Muel

The way i've always doen mine is take it to a garage (convinient for me as i worked At a tyre garage)

Whack the crank in the vice, put the tool on it and get a 38mm (?) socket and get the old windy gun on it, comes of like shit off a shovel :)

which way should the gun rotate??

i always get confused and dont want to over tighten it instead of removing it.

as u gathered i cant get mine off either

and i work in a motor factors so i souldnt struggle to find a garage to let me use there tools B)

put the crank in a freezer then poor boiling water over the threads moments before you try undoing the freewheel,works all the time with me.

steve

Surely freezing then quickly re heating is bad for your cranks

repeatedly heating and cooling can lead to stress fractures/metal fatigue, this isnt exactly desireable on your cranks.

Sam.