What Lube Do You Use?

The Hitcher

Evening.

Basically took my whole bike apart to clean and respray it, now in the process of buying new bits and bobs and putting the lot back together. Just wondering what lube/grease to use on threads etc...

Any advice and Links on where to get some would be much appreciated. Thanks (Y)

Cheers. sounds good to me, how much are you spose to put on bb's and general bolts?

Also heard copper grease could be used????

Yep, you can use copper grease (Y) well on a bb just make sure you put a small blob on and spread it round in the threads with your fingers unitll the all the threads are coverd dont be scared to just wack a load on a wipe off the excess :D

I personally use this:

For wet lube.

and this for:

Bearings etc.

It's probably all the same stuff, but I'm happy to use those because of the good feedback from some decent bike shops.

edit: copper grease is just used as a anti-seize. So it'd be a good idea to put on your freewheel threads and your BB and any other places that can be hard to get undone if left for a long time.

Edited by Scopse

cheers chaps, ive got plently of copper greae so will use that. O one more thing how the fcuk do you get a echo headset apart, I havent bother trying cause it seems a right pain, its just it doesnt seem to be running that smoothly, a tad stiff thats all ??

cheers chaps, ive got plently of copper greae so will use that. O one more thing how the fcuk do you get a echo headset apart, I havent bother trying cause it seems a right pain, its just it doesnt seem to be running that smoothly, a tad stiff thats all ??

Rite i had this problem to, the top of the headset cup there like a flat metal seal wich is covering the bearings, get a screw driver and when the forks are out just place the screw driver in the cup were the metal seal sits there is a little recess were you can place the screw driver and Nock the screw driver up and keep moving round the headset cup you will see it starts to pop out and eventually it does (ps really hard to explain :$ ) sorry

Edited by Mod-Mike

Rite i had this problem to, the top of the headset cup there like a flat metal seal wich is covering the bearings, get a screw driver and when the forks are out just place the screw driver in the cup were the metal seal sits there is a little recess were you can place the screw driver and Nock the screw driver up and keep moving round the headset cup you will see it starts to pop out and eventually it does (ps really hard to explain :$ ) sorry

Cheers! Ill give it a go.

Cheers all. (Y)

TF2: The best lubrication ever. penetrates, lubricates, cleans and unseizes. they work out £2.99 for a big tin

Grease wise im using fuchs silkolene grease its like a clear yellowish colour which me old man got me from his work.

a bit of GT85 dont go a miss.

it was also always very handy for my good friend Mark feather, am sure if bucky see's this he will post in and advise why (Y):)

LMFAO!!!! :lol:

But seriously GT85 is good (keep it away from discs though) it cleans and penetrates, and leaves your bike smelling nice.

Wayne

I don't oil my chain at all. Otherwise it gets everywhere and I need to jizer my bike to get it off the frame, hub, spokes etc.

This, in turn, makes my brakes stop working.

So I never oil the chain, I just hose it down with plain, clean water and the ride the rust off the chain.