My Free Bike Postage Idea

*PHIL*

Right, the other week i took a bike on a train from newcastle to sheffield and the only time my ticket got checked was when i was in my seat like normal. you just put your bike in the rack thing and go sit in your reserved seat.

So, i was thinking, whats to stop someone putting a bike on a train in say, london, and someone else, waiting for the train in newcastle and getting the bike off it..

eh?... EH??

Phil

The f**king obvious problem of theft?

EDIT: Not to mention people sometimes having to check your tickets/ticket gates at major stations, and also if you get an observant member of staff they'll notice you leave a bike on a train and walk off.

yeh but if you planned it in advance you could get a lock get 2 keys send one key etc.. cheaper than posting a bike...

plus the bikes aren't always locked anyway

EDIT: Not to mention people sometimes having to check your tickets/ticket gates at major stations, and also if you get an observant member of staff they'll notice you leave a bike on a train and walk off.

you would have to walk off to get to your seat anyway..

its risky but i reckon it could be done from some stations

Edited by *PHIL*

I just meant that I've seen people eyeing up my bike on trains, and a train guard actually offered me someone elses bike, and my bike to someone else when he was trying to 'help' unload the bike carriage on one of the big b*****d trains with the guards vans. Not super confidence inspiring, although I did nearly part-ex a Zona Zip for a full-spec Cannondale XC bike, haha.

all good points, but the way i was thinking about it is; if you booked a seat on the train etc, booked your bike in, and put the bike in the rack locked it up, but just didnt stay on the train, when the other person at the other end went to get the bike, the only thing that will have changed is the person... that sounds retarded but you know...

if you did it all normally on your own, its not that different to just not sit in your seat and have someone else get it at the other end... and just dont buy a train ticket

Edited by *PHIL*

I'm guessing you haven't looked at train prices recently if you think it'd be cheaper to buy a ticket and reserve a seat than pay for a courier then :P

yeah i was just saying its not too different if you take away the illegal-ness of it, obv you would just not book a train ticket..

maybe if they had 2 bikes on the train and only one booked in they might suss

Would you really want to risk £400-£1000's worth of bike for the sake of £20 ?

yep, i like to live on the edge

Edited by *PHIL*

I've used train travel a f**king load over the past 6 years, and I've 'booked' a bike on once. No-one checks...

EDIT: It also leaves the sender with a pretty high chance of being ripped off - if the receiver got the bike but said it wasn't on there/they missed the train, etc., they could just walk off with a bike?

EDIT: It also leaves the sender with a pretty high chance of being ripped off - if the receiver got the bike but said it wasn't on there/they missed the train, etc., they could just walk off with a bike?

yeah im just thinking like, friend to friend, im getting my mates bike sent up from sheff and was thinking about it. if i had a rotting bike and loads of spare time i would try it.

I mean i think you've been convinced that its not the greatest plan in the world, but to get over the small problem of a lock, you could just use a combination lock and save the 40p or whatever it is to send a key.

give me 1/2 hour and i'll get the code for it (Y)

meaning, if someone's that arsed, then if the journey's long enough they can sit and go through all the combinations until they get it right. And as for someone saying, "what are you doing, is it your bike?", they can say "yes, i forgot the code..." and there's no-one on the train to prove otherwise.

give me 1/2 hour and i'll get the code for it (Y)

meaning, if someone's that arsed, then if the journey's long enough they can sit and go through all the combinations until they get it right. And as for someone saying, "what are you doing, is it your bike?", they can say "yes, i forgot the code..." and there's no-one on the train to prove otherwise.

Bullshit, theres thousands of combinations of numbers it could be, that'd take more like 10 hours not 1/2 hour.

Just say this could happen.

You put the bike on the train, the get off.

You then leave the station and make your way home after the train has left.

The guard on the station noticed you putting the bike on the train, then leaving. You didn't say hello to anyone on the train.

The guard immediately gets on the horn, and calls the guard on that train, and gets him to stop, thinking it could be a bomb.

ALL trains have then stopped in the surrounding areas.

The guard has then called the Police, saying there's a possible terrorist attack being attempted on the train, and that he knows where the possible culprit is.

You get arrested on a terrorist charge, and that STAYS on your record, weather or not you're convicted. You lose the bike for being stupid, and you're banned from the trains for ever...

Bullshit, theres thousands of combinations of numbers it could be, that'd take more like 10 hours not 1/2 hour.

What you do is put pressure on the lock opening system (either a lever or simply pulling the lock apart) and you twiddle each number ring until it revolves completely. It does take a while but i've done it a few times now. The reason why you put pressure on the mechanism is because the instant the correct combination is achieved the lock either opens or there's a slight movement preventing the combination rings from turning further. Furthermore, because it will open as soon as the correct combination is achieved, it allows you to rotate the lowest ring at a reasonable pace, as opposed to clicking it once and checking, then again, and checking. It does take the piss!

there's 9999 combinations for a 4-ring lock, and 999 for a 3 ring, i've only had to open 3 ring ones, and it's taken me around half an hour. A 4 ring one should take about 5 hours to go through entirely...

you know, that's a long time...

9ccd_1.JPG

this, however, would take between half an hour to 1 hour to open.

What you do is put pressure on the lock opening system (either a lever or simply pulling the lock apart) and you twiddle each number ring until it revolves completely. It does take a while but i've done it a few times now. The reason why you put pressure on the mechanism is because the instant the correct combination is achieved the lock either opens or there's a slight movement preventing the combination rings from turning further. Furthermore, because it will open as soon as the correct combination is achieved, it allows you to rotate the lowest ring at a reasonable pace, as opposed to clicking it once and checking, then again, and checking. It does take the piss!

there's 9999 combinations for a 4-ring lock, and 999 for a 3 ring, i've only had to open 3 ring ones, and it's taken me around half an hour. A 4 ring one should take about 5 hours to go through entirely...

you know, that's a long time...

9ccd_1.JPG

this, however, would take between half an hour to 1 hour to open.

You've just had too much time on your hands mate :P

You've just had too much time on your hands mate :P

ehehe

my mum's forgotten the combination for the locks she uses for the suitcases for going on holiday

every time she gets em out i have to suss out the code.

ever since i forgot the code for my own lock, and i figured out the quickest way to do it

ehehe

my mum's forgotten the combination for the locks she uses for the suitcases for going on holiday

every time she gets em out i have to suss out the code.

ever since i forgot the code for my own lock, and i figured out the quickest way to do it

See, I'd just cut a lock like that off...

Buy another one for £2.99 from Hellfrauds :turned::giggle:

which is the obvious answer

god knows why they didn't

i enjoy the challenge though

anyway, bed time for me, i;ve got to get up at 7 for work tomorrow

oh yeah, my 26"er's tensioner spring snapped, so i have to fix that before i ride, and i can't drive cus dad's car's in the cocking driveway and boxed me in

i also forgot to add, if you're playing with combination locks, you'll find the rings will feel different when turning near the correct combination, depending on what style of lock you have.

Edited by Disasterboy