Front Magura Users..

streetjibs

Truth. My Koxx greens on a light-medium grind were pretty quiet, but still locked up really nicely. It's weird at first not hearing "HONK" when you even so much as look at your brake lever, but as soon as you get over that and just expect your brake to work, a silent brake is f**king awesome.

What Ben said about boosters is true too - if your frame can flex and move, the pads are more likely to chatter around as they're not being firmly pressed from a solid base into a solid surface. Boosters solve that problem, so run one!

:blink:

Does that actually work better than a 'standard' grind???

No, the idea is that it makes the brake better than a smooth rim, but you still get some of the modulation of a smooth rim, best of both worlds realy.

Full on grinds are abit savage on the front!

Adam

Wow some people think the same about brakes as me, I despise noisy and squeaky brakes! I have been trying for years to make my brake quiet, without much success. I ride quite a bit on my own at night and a loud brake just draws so much unwanted attention to you. Plus you loose the enjoyment gained from being smooth and flowing if your brake is always loud, and manuals are a nightmare!

Perhaps CNC backings? But there rather pricey, and I'm not sure if they'd help either.

I've just bought CNC backings. Its hard to say if they are louder than normal backings as I have different pads to before, but they are extremely noisy! I've also tried different boosters which never had much affect I found. I'm currently using a little bit of tape wrapped around the brake backing to try and reduce the wobble between the pad and holder. Also going to try a tiny bit of copper grease between piston and backing. I've done this before and both methods do help, but never stop the noise completely. I have been thinking about spraying expanding foam in the tubes of the frame to help deaden the vibrations. This is a last resort but hopefully it would reduce the volume quite a bit. All I know is I have to make my brake quiter, Phat pads are super grippy but my god are they loud!

No, the idea is that it makes the brake better than a smooth rim, but you still get some of the modulation of a smooth rim, best of both worlds realy.

Full on grinds are abit savage on the front!

Adam

I thought that but waddys is pritty mint, as it has modulation and hold.