"trials Rim-disc Brake. The "risc" Brake"

Sonny Clarke

Being 'tested' by someone who appears to be barely able to backwheel wheel-height.

Reassuring.

Isn't that the idea? I thought he was purposefully coming up far too low to show that the brake continued to hold despite being past the point where other brakes would slip. The rock riding wasn't very good though.

Isn't that the idea? I thought he was purposefully coming up far too low to show that the brake continued to hold despite being past the point where other brakes would slip. The rock riding wasn't very good though.

It just looked like he was 'barely able' to make it 'cos he wasn't good technique-wise, and that was his limit, as opposed to it being to test the brake more? If it was a case of deliberately landing low to try and stress it, why not try doing a tap bigger than what you'd usually do?

Meh...

I don't see how this idea will catch on...

If you wanted it, then you'd either have to buy a new rim with the rotor attached, or drill into your rim to fit the disc.

Then if you wanted to go back to rim brakes you'll be stuck with holes all over the sidewalls...

Think i'll stick to my V and BB7. :P

It just looked like he was 'barely able' to make it 'cos he wasn't good technique-wise, and that was his limit, as opposed to it being to test the brake more? If it was a case of deliberately landing low to try and stress it, why not try doing a tap bigger than what you'd usually do?

Meh...

If im honest, he looked like he wasn't going big because he was making an effort to ride smoothly... might be wrong, but I wouldn't trust it, sorry.

Haha, I love the way the Americans are absolutely loving this, telling him to go into full blown worldwide production and patents... It's not a new idea, it doesn't seem that good an idea for trials and as OBM's said, he's not exactly the standard of rider who either needs or can properly utilise a brake like that...Props to the NZ dude for giving it a go and making a working prototype but Americans are such losers :giggle:

I'm not a member of OTN so I'll leave my opinion here.

The brake definitely doesn't weigh 405g. It's probably the weigh of lever, hosing, caliper and the adaptor thingy only.

I don't know If I would like to use the brake in its current form (i.e. not thoroughly tested, proven etc).

Anyway, I respect the author because he tries to make something new. It can eventually turn to be an outstanding braking solution for biketrials. He shouldn't be flamed for that.

Edited by zordon

Any one got any idea how the hell you make a disc that size? :huh:

Explained in the OTN thread- ten laser cut stainless steel sections welded together then fixed to the rim. Not convinced that can produce a straight, true disc in the first place, and that's not taking into account the fact that if you buckle the wheel by more than about half a mm (that's about everyone who rides trials then...) it will rub like a crazy rubby thing.

Like the guy said on OTN, and like people said here in the original Ruthless threads, bolting the disc to the rim means you're effectively giving your rim a third wall, so it'd be way harder to buckle anyway?

The advantage are that is combines the best aspect of a rim brake (you're effectively using a 26" rotor) with the best aspect of a disc brake (no problems riding in wet/mud). He can make the rim-disc thing for $50, which is the most expensive part of that setup (assuming you've got a disc caliper already), so it may be a little bit more hassle in the initial setup, but it shouldn't be too expensive.

Like the guy said on OTN, and like people said here in the original Ruthless threads, bolting the disc to the rim means you're effectively giving your rim a third wall, so it'd be way harder to buckle anyway?

I'd be surprised if that disc offered any support to the wheel itself. Discs are really bendy and it wouldn't be attached that rigidly.

But I thought that the caliper had some degree of float in it to accommodate this anyway? It looks like a good idea and I'm all for innovation. But I reckon even if he can get it working perfectly, the extra weight over a normal setup will be a turn off for a lot of people. Will be good to see though.

Haha, I love the way the Americans are absolutely loving this, telling him to go into full blown worldwide production and patents...

Knowing OTN their replies will be entirely sarcastic with the ultimate aim of financially ruining the foreign guy who isn't in on the 'joke' :rolleyes: