Helicoiling A Bb Shell

NVWOCI WVS

No definitely not worth a shot. If you have ruined the threads then you need to use one of these:

105178.jpg

Most of the larger Halfords bikehuts have them, or you could buy one yourself for £500!

I used one at halfords yesterday, they'd never used it or knew how to! Just ask them if you can use it, pretty simple to use, for every full turn of the tool, turn it back half way to clear out the threads. It'll sort your threads out, an then just threadlock your new BB in. Sorted!

No definitely not worth a shot. If you have ruined the threads then you need to use one of these:

105178.jpg

Most of the larger Halfords bikehuts have them, or you could buy one yourself for £500!

I used one at halfords yesterday, they'd never used it or knew how to! Just ask them if you can use it, pretty simple to use, for every full turn of the tool, turn it back half way to clear out the threads. It'll sort your threads out, an then just threadlock your new BB in. Sorted!

I know, i use one at work quite regularly. I just bought a 2nd hand frame and the guy said he tried to put the bb in backwards and fooked it up a bit... dunno if i'll be able to chase them.

105178.jpg

If you turn it fast enough you can boil water to make a cup of tea too. :D

Its helps to use a little lubrication. Thats what my Dad always used to say. :mellow:

Edited by Trials Punk

If the threads are stripped the only thing you can do is glue a bb in or get a metal sleeve fitted and thats about 50quid upwards i think. Tapping it if youve stripped the threads will do begger all. If the threads are just abit dirty and damaged then a tap could sort it out. But theres no helicoil big enough. Try using search this has come up quite abit lately

Well it should just cut out new threads, an then you'll be able to guide the Bottom bracket in, but obviously you'll have to use a fair bit of threadlock if there's not much thread for the BB to sit in.

if the threads are fooked then the only way to cut new threads in is to go a size bigger you cant magic metal in to the bb to cut the orignal size thread in

if the threads are fooked then the only way to cut new threads in is to go a size bigger you cant magic metal in to the bb to cut the orignal size thread in

True, but when using the tapping tool yesterday on a totally fine BB, it still scrapped out metal in the BB shell an I'm almost certain made the threads deeper. I say that because there wasn't anywhere else aluminium fillings could be appearing from an I had a fair amount being scrapped out. So I think if you give the tapping tool a go, and he has one to hand where he works, then he may be quite lucky in being able to tap out some new threads, because maybe the tapping might be able to tap the threads out deeper. It'll save him a fair bit of money too an then he can just glue/threadlock the BB in.