Thinking About My Future...

Adam-Griffin

I know This isn't really the place to discuss this but i dont really know what i want to do when i leave school (May the 10th).

Since i was about 14 i've wanted to Join the army in the special forces department, i havn't really done that much reasearch into it but my Dad's in the army and it seems to have done him well in life, good money, good accomodation, Great pension etc etc But i was speaking to my mum about it and shes advised me to Consider the RAF or the Navy as it's the same kind of career i'm looking for but apparently you get treated MUCH better, the army often seem to cock my dads pay up, moving dates and stuff like that, also my mum said that when i get posted after my training etc My Girlfrend ( Who i hope to spend the rest of my life with) won't be able to come with me unless were married and i'm not sure about getting married at 16/17 as after 2 years with her i can't be certain if it's the real thing.

Was just wondering really if theres any one on here in either of the above three trades that could shed abit of light into the ssubject and explain some advantages and disadvantages of each just to make it a little clearer fo me, I'm not deciding the rest of my life upon what Forum members say but it may help me come to a decision as i'm running out of time.

To any one replying, if you havnt got anything useful to say, please don't post, for those who have some useful opinions, thank you in advance.

Adam.

Yeah, I don't mean of those. An actual careers officer in the forces I mean. I've seen one about the RM and got another one soon.

At school i do an alternate learning programme where i do 3 days a week of school and 2 days work experience, The work experience co-ordinater has been in touch with the nearest barracks and i'm supposed to be going away for a week for some "training" but they phoned the school im at like november time and we stil havnt heard back, if i do get a work experience place there i'm not realy going to learn much in like 2 months am i :( Just really confused about it lately and it's starting to get me down :(

In most big towns they have RM recruitment shops, where you can go in and talk to a recruitment agent. Do it. They want you to join the army, but they will also help give you direction as to which part is best suited to you.

I had numerous careers interview and the thing which kept coming up was special effects technician, but that would have been retarded, where do you even begin? In the end I chucked that in and said, I like designing and building stuff, I'll be an Architect. Now I'm at uni, well on my way to achieving that. Everything has really come together for me, and there's no reason it shouldn't for you.

I'm just feeling really pressured recently to make big decisions and would like som info.

Considering you seem to be making a big deal out of how important the Forces are to you, it seems kinda weird that in the 3 years you've been sure you wanted to be a part of the Special Forces you haven't researched it at all? I'm not having a dig here, but if you think you want to do something, research it. Read up about it, talk to people about it, do anything just to give youself a bit of knowledge about it. There's plenty of info online even if you don't want to talk to people in person, and I don't just mean making threads on TF. There's a lot of recruitment info online for the Army and the rest of the Forces, so use it. You aren't going to be able to make any of the 'big decisions' you're talking about without knowing what you're going into, so instead of getting more stressed about it, get active in trying to find out what you want to do.

I'd also say to bear in mind that there are plenty of other things to do out there other than be in the Forces, so just because it's "in the family" or whatever doesn't mean you have to do it.