Old School...

Pashley26

Is old school on the way back ? I've been seeing alot of old school bikes around in the last few weeks. Theres been loads of talk of retro inspired bikes, and all of the old Legends.

And i was browsing Egay and saw this....

Forkin' hell !!!

Thats quite a it for a set of old fatty's ?

So, Is oldschool on the way back ? I hope so (Y)

Jarrod

Edited by Pashley26

I picked up other megamo frame off here other week and got martyn ashton's last ever silver frame which he used last in his demos, so ill be building them up soon as.

Mostly oldskool has been around for ages, just most peeps go for all the new gear these days, i profer oldskool trials frames with saddles and mavic rims , keepin trials bikes as they were ages bk, as mountain bikes.

It's all about the oldskool, I don't doubt that new products are infinitely better, and the little tiny frames I've been seeing are just what I used to draw and design way back when...

But now I'm the grandad, and I want the Worthers Original of bikes, I want what would have been the ultimate bike when I used to ride, and I've nearly finished building it, and better still the whole thing has cost less than £250

Even if the stuff is old it's still damn good quality :D

I can't see many of the new generation wanting oldskool though as it doesn't have quite the same special appeal to it...

I had a pair of Fattys there were the only fork I ever needed untill Tuesday, When they cracked. Only after 4-5 years of use. There were so light too. The main reason they cracked was that I ran a 203mm rotor and done a lot of front wheel moves. But also Just above the disc mount there a small hole. it was only about 1-2mm big, but thye must have cracked there and spread all the way around.

|TO be fair they were second hand when I got them! and I cant really see any echo forks lasting any longer with the abuse I gave my old fattys!!!

Like my Nan would say "they dont make 'em like they use to"

Bloody hope its on the way back. I still have my Fatty's from a few years back. Cost me about £115? They are in decent condition, only thing is, they need a new steerer tube! Leon Neill has like 3 pairs though haha! Be good if Cannondale bought the Beast of the East frame out again, but maybe slightly smaller than the 16" (?) frame that is was.

Haha, ok i love my Fatty's too.

But, Is there a genuine bit of hype over older bikes at the moment ?

Jarrod

Not sure. If im honest I think theres a lot of interest within a certain few riders (me for one) about wanting a Trials bike that actually looks like a bike, rather than tubes welded together with amazing geo but with the whole idea of what a bike is meant to look like completely forgotten about. I think that was the basis of the rant thread I started in Trials Chat a few weeks back. Completely understand that 95% of riders prefer the new-skool way that Trials has gone and that that market is what is driving Trials shops at the mo, but there are a few of us (approx. 5% lol, maybe more) that want something different, perhaps meaningful to how/why we started riding, roots I guess.

*Awaits the slagging match*

I completly Agree.

I've always seen old school trials as alot more flowing, and stylish. But new stuff just seems to be about how far you can jump.

I'm building a mod to try out new trials riding....I'll probably love it knowing me !

Jarrod

*Awaits the slagging match*

I completly Agree.

I've always seen old school trials as alot more flowing, and stylish. But new stuff just seems to be about how far you can jump.

I'm building a mod to try out new trials riding....I'll probably love it knowing me !

Jarrod

If you do GET a monty! there flicky as hell!

After buying a long low bike I would happily get something more "bike" like "normal" wheel base. maybe 1080 MAX. chain stays maybe 380. I want something that I can chuck about like spin and manual. But I can to 10 foot gap-to-front on (slight exaggeration) SUppose i have all the time in the world to get a bike with a seat !

lol

You will love it. ;)

XD

I know.......Just looking at it makes me happy (Y) I polished it today at work and all of the scratches are gone, except on the bottom of the Chainstay.

Jarrod

If you do GET a monty! there flicky as hell!

SUppose i have all the time in the world to get a bike with a seat !

lol

Echo Team :)

Bikes with seats are nice (Y) But it's more the feel of riding an oldschool bike.

Jarrod