Alcohol In Maguras!?

Chappie

I've got water in my spare one, it's well heavy at the lever.

Any way of making it lighter? It's all greased up and is really, really smooth. I just want the lever feel to be lighter.

Take the seal out the lever the one the tpa push's and clean all grease out and clean all the calipers out with a pump then wack a new bit of hose on then bath bleed .

Take the seal out the lever the one the tpa push's and clean all grease out and clean all the calipers out with a pump then wack a new bit of hose on then bath bleed .

It's not that, this brake has hardly ever been used. It feels really smooth and when you let the lever go, the pistons come back with such force that they rattle on the backs of the slaves.

Why wouldn't it freeze?

Go back to school, lol because alcohol has increased hydrogen bonding than water, and pulls the molecules closer together as the attractive forces are increased.

Most alcohols have less viscosity than water, so then brake lever will feel much lighter to pull, i would imagine, but that’s great but im pretty shure that the seals would start to perish quicker, only way to really no is to try it, it’ll be a first.

Any idea how to make mine lighter though? I'm guessing I need to use a free-er flowing liquid than water.

All the seals are mint, the pistons are clean, the lever feels so smooth to pull it's like your just compressing a spring between your fingers, I just wish it was a lighter spring.

Here's the spec.

White Eisbar LTD Edition HS33.

Rock Pads.

Water Bleed.

Adamant Blade.

Echo Mounts.

Echo Booster.

I just want to test it properly. I'll probably fit it for a while, then go back to disc, but who knows.

I'm getting my Dad to make a couple of metal TPAs, then all it will need is braided hosing, which I probably won't bother doing, as I like disc too much. It's just a little project I want to do.

Haha! O well lads, just an idea! Ive got plenty of the stuff anyways since my uni course is about how to make it! Cheers for replys! Ill stick with the mineral oil the now like!

Chap

Edited by Chappie

muel if you are comparing your maggie to a disk then you've got very little chance of making them feel the same. If you use a thinner liquid your brake will probs be spongy you could try loosening the spring inside the lever behind the seal but thats a bit extreme just keep the slaves oiled and try it out you'll soon get used to it.

muel if you are comparing your maggie to a disk then you've got very little chance of making them feel the same. If you use a thinner liquid your brake will probs be spongy you could try loosening the spring inside the lever behind the seal but thats a bit extreme just keep the slaves oiled and try it out you'll soon get used to it.

Hmm there's an idea....

I'll try swapping the spring for a softer one! Cheers man.

Dunno if I can be arsed though. I'll stick it on my spare bike, ride it until someone wants to buy it, then either sell it with or without.

This brake has got to be worth £60, it's new. And I have modded it a bit, I filed the lump the the blade bolt screws into off, and replaced it with a nilock nut, so you can get the lever tension perfect, it barely has any knock, but it will never come undone. Ever.

Go back to school, lol because alcohol has increased hydrogen bonding than water, and pulls the molecules closer together as the attractive forces are increased.

Most alcohols have less viscosity than water, so then brake lever will feel much lighter to pull, i would imagine, but that’s great but im pretty shure that the seals would start to perish quicker, only way to really no is to try it, it’ll be a first.

+1 woop for the chemistry know how.

Why wouldn't it freeze?

for a simple answer,

vodka doesn't freeze!

:D

Alcohol evaporates, quickly. If the seals aren't up to the job of keep it in (because it's more viscous (can squeeze between the seals easier)) then I'm pretty sure it'll evaporate and induce air into the system. Everyone know's what it's like to have air in your brakes.

ermmm...actually you've got that the wrong way round...

remember that alcohol boils at a lower temperature (as in making whiskey :D) than water...takes less energy to break those bonds...they is weaker..

i think its a fairly decent idea...only takes about 30ml to bleed a brake if i remember right :S

adam