Tendonitis?

Ryan.

Right.

When i rode leeds i started to get pains at the base joint of my little finger, not a callis or blister, but the joint itself. Then the next day my middle finger did the same.

Then it got to the point of where i couldn't even hop, and i still can't as the pain is too much and this is two weeks on.

if anyone has any advice or anything they know that could help heal it quicker would be a star :)

thanks

Ryan

but are they not going to just tell me to rest it?

Possibly, may tell you it need's amputating, You never know until you've seen one, i went a while ago about my dodgy7 shoulder, thought i'd just pulled a muscle, turn's out i'd Torn a tendon or something, had to go to hospital and every thing, better to be safe than sorry (Y)

Don't blame me if you f**k yourself up. <-- That's the important bit.

BUT

I tried to find out about this a while ago when I had tendinitis pretty much like you describe. I got it from climbing but riding was also affected. Basically there is no evidence to suggest that rest really helps that much. I looked on some climbing forums and they basically said that there's nothing you can do to speed up recovery, but that actually stressing it doesn't affect recovery time either. I would say if it's really bad, rest it. But when I had it, it was painful but I could climb/ride through the pain and I was fine. Take some Ibuprofen or something.

just go to doctors , wouldnt really take any ones advice one here to be honest , doubt theyv got a phd!

Not that a PhD would be in any way useful - Medical Doctors don't have PhDs (well, unless they've done two degrees), they have MBChB or MBBS after their name (In this country).

If you go to a GP, I guarantee that they'll just say to rest it and take ibuprofen. If you go to a physio they might have more of an idea but anyway there's actually very little you CAN do anyway. Plus you'll probably have to pay to see one unless you know any.

I tried to find out about this a while ago when I had tendinitis pretty much like you describe. I got it from climbing but riding was also affected. Basically there is no evidence to suggest that rest really helps that much. I looked on some climbing forums and they basically said that there's nothing you can do to speed up recovery, but that actually stressing it doesn't affect recovery time either. I would say if it's really bad, rest it. But when I had it, it was painful but I could climb/ride through the pain and I was fine. Take some Ibuprofen or something.

exactly the same....and i reckon it was definitely climbing that did in the first place..

went easy on the climbing and it was OKish on the bike- just don't go mad (Y)

I've had it for a while from climbing too, and I found that climbing tape around the finger, between the joints helps. It gives a bit of support to the tendon and I found it made it hurt a little less. Alegedly vitamin E helps aswell, wiki:

Vitamin E has been found to increase the activity of fibroblasts, leading to increased collagen fibrils and synthesis, which seems to speed up the regeneration and increase the regenerative capacity of tendons

I found though its just a matter of time and taking a bit easy.

Tendonitis is an inflammation of the tendon - usually from overuse. So it kind of makes sense to rest it and take some ibuprofen, so the swelling can go down. But you'll usually find that unless you've torn it, a couple of days is enough rest.

I suffer from this a lot. They inflame because I'm putting a lot of force through them - it's eventually going to cause upset! However, the one bit of useful advice I can give, is I find moving the levers in, so that the biting point is a lot closer to the handle bars. This puts a lot less strain on my fingers. The more my fingers hurt, the less power I have to pull the levers - hence using disc brakes. I physically can't make a rim brake lock! I get pain through all the joints and fingers - possibly made worse by doing a lot of typing :)

However, as a few people have suggested - if you're actually worried about it - go to a doctor rather than taking advise online. But a GP will have very little training in this area. He will probably feel your fingers and check for anything funny, then tell you to go home and rest and take ibuprofen. If you ham it up a little, he might do an ESR blood test to see if it's something else, like rheumatoid arthritis. The other piece of good advise seen above, is to see a physio. If you go to your GP, he can refer you to a physio and it won't cost you a thing. Alternatively, have a chat to Si Physio on the forums - who I highly recommend :)