Classifieds Section Just A Thought.

Al_Fel

I've noticed that the classifieds section is really cluttered, full of new threads every day and there are loads of dead threads. I was thinking it would be great if it was more like ebay or a database kind of thing where you have sections for the main parts (Frames/forks, Bars/stems, Brakes, Drivetrain, Wheels, etc) and if you click on a members name it shows what they have got for sale. It would be good to have key words to search for and maybe a wanted section on people profiles where they put a list of parts they are after and people who are selling those parts can search through "wanted parts".

I've got an idea of it in my head but i'm not too good at explaining myself nor can I write a HTML script for it. I'd guess it would be a hell of a lot of work to do but i'm sure there's some cleve b*****d out there that could knock one up. A name that springs to mind is Simon and obviously theres Tom and Danny. I'm sure this has probably already been thought of but I just thought I'd post my ideas up on here. Anyone got anything to add?

A bit more detailed than that. Like rather than having it like a forum with threads have it more like ebay where you search for particular parts and you can click on a persons user name and it comes up with all the parts they are selling with thumbnails, descriptions and key words.

i think i should have different headings ie frames, forks, bars, stems etc

and they you post what you have in that heading, it would be so much easyer

like for instance i am looking for a stem for example i could go to the heading and see what is there??

a bit like tartybikes there is a list of all the componants, you click on what you want and it brings up everything they sell- easy

would be easy to do as well

then all you need is a wtd, for sale & swap individual main headers with the same list inside??????

what you all think

The only problem is coding it all. It would be a lot better, because if you wanted say, a disc brake, you could go to the disc section, and there you have everyones discs for sale instead of having to go through loads of random threads and hoping the search will work for you...

What about a thread filtering system?

They have that on HERE (Not that I go on a geeky forum like that, mind :unsure: ) - you just click a filter at the top and it shows you only threads with that icon. Every time you make a thread, you have to choose a filter. So you could have filters for FS/WTD/Swaps as well as Mod/Stock/Off Topic/etc or something?

I doubt Tom/Danny/Simon will be coding anything like that, but as I understand it there are loads of hacks for the forum software that people make. I guess the filter hack is available somewhere - though whether it's available for the IPB software we have, I don't know.

That would be cool. Not that I could see that cos I'm not registered on there, but sounds good.

Oh yeah, whoops. You can't see the FS section if you're not a member. I'll edit my post above to link to one of the other forums.

The FS forum is more clever than the others though since you can filter several icons at a time. On that forum they have

UK FS

UK Wtd

UK Bargains

US FS

US Wtd

US Bargains

etc

So you can filter just the "UK FS" ones if you want. But there are also icons for "UK" which shows all the threads with a UK icon (so UK FS, UK Wtd and UK Bargains etc). This might mean that, on here, you might have...

Stock Wtd

Mod Wtd

Stock FS

Mod FS

Off topic Wtd

Off topic FS

etc

...And you could click to select only Mod topics (which would include Mod FS and Mod Wtd) or only FS topics (I.e. Stock FS, Mod FS, OT FS),

Yeah it's an awesome idea. Tomm I see what you mean, that's well cool. I imagine it would be mad hassle, but it would be awesome to intergrate the gallery into the Classified section, cos hardly anyone uses it anymore from what I've seen.

The thing is that in the FS section, a lot people seem to have trouble sticking to the current rules - I.e say what you're selling and stick a price up, plus pictures would be nice. If you introduce compulsory pictures and keywords etc, people won't have a clue. Also I'm not quite sure that pictures instead of topic titles is a good idea - I think it would take more time to work out what's being sold.

The good thing about the filtering system is that it works like the normal forum, so people who prefer it as it is can carry on. But those who want to filter bits out can do so too.

Most of the forums I use outside this one split the Classifieds into separate For Sale and Wanted sections. And on most they also have a set template that posters must abide by when selling, otherwise it will get deleted.

At the basic level I think this would be a good idea, just to help navigating and encourage some consistency in the ads.

Most of the forums I use outside this one split the Classifieds into separate For Sale and Wanted sections. And on most they also have a set template that posters must abide by when selling, otherwise it will get deleted.

At the basic level I think this would be a good idea, just to help navigating and encourage some consistency in the ads.

A template would be nice. Thats why I mentioned the gallery. If you upload the picture then you could have price, description, make, model etc and maybe a link under your avatar to what you are selling.

Is there any way to make a data form link to the forum?

Like this reply box, but with several boxes saying things like

Price £_____

Item ______

Description _________

And a tick box to say FS or WTD

That way you could make it so it throws up an error if you don't enter a number value in the price field and stuff... That's one way of making members stick to the desired layout. And with the tick boxes you could then filter through for sale / wanted and the Item field could be searched too, ie stem or frame or wheels...

I don't think there's a problem now, it's just better to be able to filter...

Take Facebook for example, searching for people & groups is fine but it does save you time if you're looking for a group that Facebook has tabs so you can filter your search to groups or people.

For example I was looking for a group, but it threw up 223 results - that would have taken ages to go through but instead I clicked groups and got about 10 to look at.

It's the same I guess if you're after buying a frame - you don't want to look through people that are looking to buy a front wheel or whatever...

ebay bidding system ?

Thats what e-bays for ha ha. It would be nice to have a setout similar to e-bay though.

By the way i'm not complaining about the for sale section I just thought it could do with being a bit less clutterd and stop people from bumping all the time.

Thats what e-bays for ha ha. It would be nice to have a setout similar to e-bay though.

By the way i'm not complaining about the for sale section I just thought it could do with being a bit less clutterd and stop people from bumping all the time.

I know :P

Maybe they could put in... a listing time ? Like ebay have ? And as it gets closer to the end the closer it is at the top of the forum ?

Dunno if it's possible though, I'm no good with websites ha ha.