Dual Disc 20" Bikes

Waynio

just a bit of info for people, which im hoping might generate a bit of interest..............

iv been looking at building up some 20" dual disc bikes through aire valley.

Now in the past dual disc bikes have always been quite expensive, around £1200+

i dont want this to turn into an advertising post but more of an "information" from customer post.

£1,000 for a dual disc bike? is that what a customer wants? or do they want magura rear?

These bikes are built with top parts, such as Echo hubs, rims, bars, stems, cane creek headsets, viz isis b/b or shimano b/b with tensile cranks, echo cranks, i dont see many companies building them into full bikes, so iv been in touch with tartybikes and had a few frames, forks etc etc, and built some really kool Echo dual disc bikes and magura bikes.

£1,000 echo frame, forks, vp headset, magura disc brakes, echo wheels, creepy crawler tyres, echo bars and stem, echo cranks shimano b/b

£1150 higher spec dual disc, same as above but with hayes hfx9 carbon brakes, cane creek sealed headset, tensile cranks, isis viz b/b.

il upload some pictures later so you can see. i just see the market more dual "disc" orientated, or is the rear HS33 still alive and kicking and more the thing that street riders want???

is it dual disc for natural? and hs33 for street????

Just wanting ideas and opinions on some more bikes to build up, just to have in the shop and have as a showroom enhancement thing.

Wayne.

Well from my opinion disk are not specific for natural or street probably better for natural as they still work as good when they wet.

But i dont think there is a more demand from customer for a dual disk bike than magura. But most of them certainly prefers a disk on the front.

Edited by TrAsHeR

I think double disc is better on natural, but for street, when you doing big gaps and moves where there is a large load on the rear brake, I think it starts to feel a little weedy.

I still prefer disc, people say they're really flexible, but mine isn't, and my mount isn't even welded to the frame, it's a 3mm thick piece of mild steel.

Hayes Carbon brakes aren't really the best choice. They're good brakes for other bicycle sports due to their very low price, reliability and braking power but in trials you need something better. I'd say the only disc brake that works (or has enough potential to work properly with a huge rotor) on the rear wheel is a Hope Mono Trial.

Personally i wouldn't buy a double disk bike. Rear disk is minging i think and deffo wouldnt do a double disk stock as its going to kill the rear wheel if you go big. But it seems dd mods are all the rage and alot of people are likeing them. So i think it would be a good idea. But im not sure how many youll sell, it seems most natty boys who do tyketrial ect are the ones to buy brand new bikes from how it seems as there always on dd 221ti's ect.

personally i would say hs33 for both natural and street.

Edited by basher

Unless you can get trials specific brake pads for the Hayes I'm guessing it won't inspire enough confidence on the back. Are there any heatsink style companies that make trials disk pads - I've not heard of any? I still run Maguras thanks to falls where I clonk the dropouts on things. If I had disks it would cost me a lot more to keep my bike running.

They now have 2 echo 08 doulble disks, a czar double disk and a echo 07/08 with rear maggie in aire valley at the moment, at the same price stated above.

They look realy smart fully speccced out with all deng components, those hayes disks also look realy cool with the carbon blades and work suprisingly good aswell.

so grab your self a bargain before christmas.

Doubtless its already been said, but not many people like dual disk for street. Its just not practical, you twat it on a wall failing to make a sidehop and its game over.

People seem to love it for comps though.

Montys are cheap as chips at the mo, but i don't know if its going to stay that way for any length of time.

Edit: I'd rather have the Magura disks, those hays carbon jobbys are wank for trials.

Edited by Quackers

not everything is sidehop mania though.................

i think to the "joe bloggs" street rider, dual disc is prob no good, well not as good as magura.

BUT i think there is a market for dual discs to become MUCH more popular 26" dual disc will never be because of the rolling forward force against a "X" size rotor and 26" wheels.

BUT 20" is worry free, bed them in, ok every now and again nak a rotor, but you nak rims? bend and dent, grind em? wear em out? now if a disc worked better (which on 20") i persoanlly think they do, its more cost effective to buy more expensive to start with then the future is hopefully cheaper???

or do people think different to that? if so why?

Wayne

fair point.

i am probably the same as you joe, i have grown up and had to do everything and supply everything myself and pay for everything.

but you cant really expect a 5-16 year old lad to go work to earn money for his bike? at 13+ some lads have paper rounds etc.

but you need to consider the "bigger" picture.

Wayne.

fair point.

i am probably the same as you joe, i have grown up and had to do everything and supply everything myself and pay for everything.

but you cant really expect a 5-16 year old lad to go work to earn money for his bike? at 13+ some lads have paper rounds etc.

but you need to consider the "bigger" picture.

Wayne.

thats what i have to do :P

Just because the bikes are dual disk, doesn't mean they will attract much more attention.

£1000 is a lot of money to spend all in one go! Fair enough you are saving £200-300 by buying from you/airvalley, but if your willing to spend the £1000 in first place I rekon the majority will go for the £1200 koxx/monty

Edit: I'd rather have the Magura disks, those hays carbon jobbys are wank for trials.

£1000 echo frame, forks, vp headset, magura disc brakes, echo wheels, creepy crawler tyres, echo bars and stem, echo cranks shimano b/b

Wayne.

The cheaper option does come with magura disks.