What Cable To Use For My Bb7?

Charlie Jennings

Hello, Ive just got my new BB7 '08 and obviously require a cable. I've asked around, most of them say The Odyssey Linear Slick. The problem is: I cant find one.

Basically what I'm saying is: Will normal thick cable be ok. or will i need a slick? Were can I get a Slick cable from? And how much?

Edited by iCharlie

Will normal thick cable be ok. or will i need a slick?

Slick = good. i.e. superior to normal cables at not much premium.

Were can I get a Slick cable from? And how much?

Pretty much any BMX shop in the country. Try custom riders, alans bmx, pijin, cyclesport ltd, winstanleys bmx etc etc. Usually about £6-£7.

Dave

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

Wasn't there a post on here about 2 days ago asking about slick cables?

Damn it, it's all the way on page 2!

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....howtopic=110282

Whoops ;) Sorry guys. I was banned so. meh.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=10192

oh. I didnt realise that one was a extra thick one. I would have ordered it from tarty when i ordered everything.

Will halfords do a Odyssey Cable? I dont want a crappy one snapping on me :lol:

A friend of mine got Nokon cables for his VBrake setup (XTR levers and Avid 5 V's). They feels almost as good as my Maguras (Which makes them by far the best cable set up I've ever tried). Not quite good enough to move me away from Maguras though. Nokon cables are anything but cheap though. The Gore Ride on ones are pretty OK too, though not as pretty. Make sure to flare the teflon liner before putting the ferrules onto the cable outer to stop the liner moving around over time though.

ive been using flying snake cable for a while now , gear and brake. AWWSOME!

the difference is that a standard cable has a coiled metal inside, where as a linier (thick gear cable) is as it says linier so has no compression rate to it , giving a good feel.

if you have the rite ferrals you can use gear outer cable with brake inner , just put some chain lube don the outer cables the help them along.

g

Edited by prowler in the yard

Bicycle cables don't stretch a significant amount (What stretching they do happens the first time the cable is pulled). For the cable to stretch would require the steel in the cable to plastically deform, which, across the whole cross section of the cable required to deform in order to make the whole cable longer, would lead to the cable snapping in no time flat. What is described as cable stretch is actually the cable outer or ferrules on the ends of the cable outer deforming due to the cable tension, making it look like the cable has got longer. That'd be part of the reason the Nokon's with their solid aluminium cylinders and balls work so well...

Bicycle cables don't stretch a significant amount (What stretching they do happens the first time the cable is pulled). For the cable to stretch would require the steel in the cable to plastically deform, which, across the whole cross section of the cable required to deform in order to make the whole cable longer, would lead to the cable snapping in no time flat. What is described as cable stretch is actually the cable outer or ferrules on the ends of the cable outer deforming due to the cable tension, making it look like the cable has got longer. That'd be part of the reason the Nokon's with their solid aluminium cylinders and balls work so well...

Brake cables aren't just one solid bit of steel though, they're a tightly wound coil, and the stretching from cables is just that coil being stretched out a bit. With really old, haggard cables you can visibly see it, but yeah, the cable itself does stretch out too. The outer usually remains pretty consistent though, because for the most part under virtually no force at all, especially on a cable disc.

Black Snake cable (about £25 if you can afford it) or Flying Snake cable (slightly cheaper at around £15). these are the best cables period for reliablity, durability, and years of slicky smooth performance (thanks to their teflon coated inner cable, the same teflon used on frying pans) whatever the conditions. once fitted and cut, they will never fray up. though a cheap cable will do just the job if you look after it.