16 Inch Trials Bike

Apu

I like this bit

Imagine that, a 16" childs bike weighs less than an adult 26" wheeled mountain bike.

This bit is good too

I can't think of anything to say other than :blink::unsure:

Yeah he one the Gravity cross here in Christchurch. When he was here on holiday he realized there was going to be a Slalom race going on and he wanted to enter. Little did he know he was to win after purchasing the bike from the local dump.

hahaha he has to be taking the piss. I done this with a standard 20" frame and it was not worth it. Now i got an adamant a3 and my riding is to times better. The two bikes just don't compare. You will become a better rider if you buy a proper bike.

yeah using a standard 20" frame wouldn't work because the chain stays are too long. 16" bikes are shorter in the back end.

• 3 months later...

unfathomable.

if this is for real, and it not someone just getting a rise out of us, id have to say that i wanna meet this guy. he is my new hero. you sir, have just made me (and the rest of the cycling community) feel 100 times smarter:)

here are my thoughts. first off, i ride steel frames exclusively. i have ridden aluminum, steel, carbon, and titanium frames. out of all of them i like the feel of steel. this doesnt mean that its not brittle, that it doesnt crack, or that its not heavy. steel frames DO crack, they are extremely fragile, and they can be heavy. but this goes for all materials. all those materials will crack. all can be heavy. its a matter of finding that equilibrium between all these variable, and the persons preference. i like steel for ride quality, and because it takes dents/bends a lot better, and that when they do crack (and they do) its an easy fix. i have had aluminum frames that havent cracked. i have yet to have a steel frame thats lasted longer than a year of riding without it cracking. lucky for me, my norco has a 25year warranty on it. so when i break it, i ring em, take the frame to my local shop, and wait two weeks till a BRAND NEW frame arrives. and inbetween that time, i build up another norco i have laying around. its a pain in the ass, but i like the way the frame rides, their warranty, and that i get a new frame every year or so.

as far as bmx bikes, they are actually pretty light these days. all components (aside from frame, fork,handlebars and axles) is CNC'd, just like our bikes. my buddies new Mirraco Black Pearl, with all 4 steel pegs) weighs in at 22 pounds. thats extremely light. granted, its got no brakes, smaller wheels, and so on...but we generally* dont haves seats, and only 32 spokes. so i guess it all evens out.

this thread has made my month, and possibly my year thus far. i wanna meet this guy!

ahahahaha.

This thread is so funny.

I really really want to see som pictures fof this bike, and perhaps a video.

Surely he has put it all together by now.

Surely this cant be a nice bike to ride, 20" is small enough, but 16"!!!!! How can someone over 8 ride a bike that small!

Whatever he does to it, even if its the lightest bike in the world and the easiest to throw out, it is gonna be way too small to ride, wont get trials specific tyres for a 16" bike so will have to keep on getting new tyres LOL !!!!

Will be alot of fun but not really worth all the effort and argument!

Sam :D

This thread is so funny.

Surely this cant be a nice bike to ride, 20" is small enough, but 16"!!!!! How can someone over 8 ride a bike that small!

Whatever he does to it, even if its the lightest bike in the world and the easiest to throw out, it is gonna be way too small to ride, wont get trials specific tyres for a 16" bike so will have to keep on getting new tyres LOL !!!!

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get working on my front hub, The cones and bearings are stuffed and need replacing.

In fact haven't got any where with the bike, a project going to waste really. The frame hasn't been started on, nor the components.

and yes steel frames do crack but they are far less hassle when they do. very easy to repair.

This thread is so funny.

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get working on my front hub, The cones and bearings are stuffed and need replacing.

In fact haven't got any where with the bike, a project going to waste really. The frame hasn't been started on, nor the components.

and yes steel frames do crack but they are far less hassle when they do. very easy to repair.

So I had this 12 inch kids bike and decided to use it for bike trials. Once used i cut it up and threw it in the scrap heap due to it's condition.

Just recently I had this brainwave on restarting my kids bike riding days on a 16 inch, all tricked out to look the business. Here's it's specs once fully finished.

Custom steel frame with lengthened front and shortened rear end plus very low top tube height.

Magura HS11 rim brake out back.

Disc brake up front. (unsure of make yet)

Aluminium rims. (stronger than steel rims, Less likely to buckle)

Head stem of at lest 100mm reach.

No seat or post.

Large 2.25" tire out back. (standard on a kids bike)

Smaller 1.75" front tire (no need for anything bigger)

1 1/8th" head stem. (either on an 1 1/8th" steerer and head set or a quill stem adapter)

Chosen front disc hub (out of my mountain bike, used)

Generic rear hub (freewheel, not coaster brake)

Please don't say "I would be better off on a mod", I have been told this already elsewhere and would rather start trials the cheaper way. I'm not tall so riding small bikes is easy and small bikes are easier to throw around.

Please tell me what your opinions are.

Please tell me you didnt get validated by posting this? :lol:

i got bored of reading this on the second page but waht your saying is aluminum wheels are stronger then steel, yet steel frames are stronger then aluminum.

seriously if i still had my t-pro you could of had it for the price of postage.

good luck with building this thing though.