16 Inch Trials Bike

Apu

So I had this 12 inch kids bike and decided to use it for bike trials. Once used i cut it up and threw it in the scrap heap due to it's condition.

Just recently I had this brainwave on restarting my kids bike riding days on a 16 inch, all tricked out to look the business. Here's it's specs once fully finished.

Custom steel frame with lengthened front and shortened rear end plus very low top tube height.

Magura HS11 rim brake out back.

Disc brake up front. (unsure of make yet)

Aluminium rims. (stronger than steel rims, Less likely to buckle)

Head stem of at lest 100mm reach.

No seat or post.

Large 2.25" tire out back. (standard on a kids bike)

Smaller 1.75" front tire (no need for anything bigger)

1 1/8th" head stem. (either on an 1 1/8th" steerer and head set or a quill stem adapter)

Chosen front disc hub (out of my mountain bike, used)

Generic rear hub (freewheel, not coaster brake)

Please don't say "I would be better off on a mod", I have been told this already elsewhere and would rather start trials the cheaper way. I'm not tall so riding small bikes is easy and small bikes are easier to throw around.

Please tell me what your opinions are.

Please put a pic of this bike up it sounds awesome. Dont listen to everyone else im sure the first person to come out on a 20" trials bike got some stick aswell.

Sorry, new members opinions don't count, :Plol

And why not just pick up a very cheap mod from ebay? You'll get one for about £100-150 easily.

Edited by jandamna

Sorry, new members opinions don't count, :) (Thats a joke)

And why not just pick up a very cheap mod from ebay? You'll get one for about £100-150 easily.

New members opinions dont count i think 16 year olds opinions dont count (thats a joke by the way) .

Edited by vinny.p

why do it to your self? like every one has clearly stated above get a trials bike off ebay eaily get one for £100-150 maybe cheaper.and this trials bike will be alot better then some kids bike which is a wana be trials bike.yer sure it will be a laugh like to use but i wouldnt even be able to look you in the eye with out laughig if i saw someone going down the street with a bike like that. do what you want though your decsion, and as people have said as well bring out a video :P and can you put up some pics of this bike?

Edited by onza-t-pro

I'm about 5'8" at a guess. maybe more. and to those saying to buy a mod...!@#$ off. this is a way in which I can learn basic skills at the cost of about ten dollars (NZD). pictures of the frame will come within a month or so.

oops also forgot to mention the cut and tapped truvativ firex cranks I'm going to use.

hahahaha where in nz are you from?

Cashmere, Christchurch.

Should be getting a frame within the next week or so. (If my funds allow me) I'll be cutting out the bottom bracket shell and MIG welding in a European one to fit the modified cranks. The top tube and seat stays will get drop down lower for more clearance and the frame will be gusseted at the head tube, dropouts and possibly the seat post tube/bottom bracket area. Head tube will be steepened so I can run some slightly longer forks and still have good control of the bike. Still deciding whether an 1 1/8th" headset, steerer tube and stem is really worth all the extra cutting and welding. (My MIG is only a small one.) All they used on earlier trials bikes was 1" and I haven't broken one yet on any of my fool around bikes. Should be getting Magura second hand off "www.trademe.co.nz" (NZ eBay pretty much.) will have pictures up in a few months as funds are limited for me right now. maybe a bare frame will appear in a few weeks hopefully.

Edited by Apu

Not exactly under ten dollars.

Ten dollars will get me the bike to hack up.

Another thirty or so should cover rims and the Magura I'm bidding on at the moment for a few dollars.

Kids bikes are very cheap including parts.

Aluminium rims with hubs (rear 16") go for 30 dollars here in NZ two without hubs will be cheaper and if I can't get them then I might try 12" rims. Saw some on a pram just recently.

Sorry about being rude everyone. I just can't stand the fact that so far a good 14 people have told me (not just here but elsewhere) to go and spend large amounts of money on a real trials bike. I am sticking to a budget due to the fact that all the parts I am using are in my garage except for the frame and rims.

Buying a mod would be the preferred decision but as there is a budget I am keeping to building the 16". (smaller bikes are easier to throw around anyway).

shipping bikes from eBay would cost about 70 dollars. and 3 months waiting. plus the cost of the bike.and that defeats the purpose. A child cannot ride a 20" comfortably. once finished I will be using it but then selling it off eventually to pay for a mod...

And just so you know those 12 1/2" aluminium pram wheels are just the same as bike wheels but a lot stronger. Finding aluminium kids bike wheels is very hard. Steel rims just fold in half after the first bunny hop.

And please, Don't keep saying get a mod off eBay. Shipping bikes to New Zealand is bloody expensive.

Edited by Apu

once finished I will be using it but then selling it off eventually to pay for a mod...

lmao

this thread should be moved to BOTI

anyway, you asked for oppinions, you got them. dont be such a jebend, save your 70 dollars and save up, you will build this bike realise its a heavy pile of metal that rides like a shopping trolley and it WILL not sell.

To be fair, From what you have said, you don't have a clue what you're talking about, pram wheels stronger than Trials specific wheel? You ARE joking are'nt you !? And a "16 wheel will absolutly NOT stand up to trial's abuse, not even if you ride like a pixie!

This also worried me "Ten dollars will get me the bike to hack up." Hack up !?!?!??!?! bike's are'nt for "hacking up"! Also, $10 will get you some thing like this;

That's if you're lucky!

Please for god sake Just save and buy a bikie that will last longer than a day, if you wait until you're validated, im sure someone will GIVE you an old frame just to stop this monstrocioty from being born, i cant sleep at night knowing that it's going to be about :unsure: