3rd Party Ipod Software

Danny

I'm looking at getting an 8gb nano (or a 80gb classic) as i can connect it to my car stereo and control it from that. The problem is i have absolutely no intention of ever using iTunes. Does anyone know of any good 3rd party software?

So far ive found Anapod Explorer which doesn't look bad but could be better.

Id prefer it just be much more like a file manager than any playlist crap. Any other ones people recommend?

Nokia 5310 XpressMusic with an 8gb card. Just got one on sunday and its a pretty awesome phone, not much bigger than the old Nano, and one less thing in your pocket. Plus its just drag and drop file transfers. Still has a standard 3.5mm jack socket too, and all the normal mp3 player features.

WinAMP supports it as standard on 5.5 onwards, but there is a plugin for winamp which has many more options such as organising your play list on a shuffle, for those of us with them. Also allows you to connect as many iPods to as many computers so long as they use WinAMP and I am pretty sure you can take music off the iPod using winamp as well.

Any change in firmware will loose the compatability between his head unit and the iPod.

I'm sure I read that there was a hooky kittle program which let you drag and drop songs onto them. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.

I'm sure I read that there was a hooky little program which let you drag and drop songs onto them.

Oh my god! What a brilliant idea!! You mean you could just add songs just like that, I mean, wow. Now why the fcuk didn't iCharlie's beloved Apple think of that?!

Dave

P.S. That's in no way a sarcastic dig at Haz for what you've written, just me wondering why the hell Apple have to be so retarded.

Danny - have you tried those Alpine HUs? If you can, go to Halfords with an iPod and try it out... I tried one about a year ago and the interface was really slow. It might be OK on a nano with only a handful of tracks, but on my 30Gb 5G it was painful trying to skip through all the artists. It starts at A and clicks forward one artist at a time (you can't go back), so if you want something in the second half of the alphabet, you're turning the knob for probably a whole minute, I shit you not. Maybe they've improved it though.

I reckon the best plan is just an iPod into the aux leads and just control it off the iPod. Or if you're feeling clever, mount an iPod dock somewhere on the dash and wire that into the stereo. That's my plan :)