Does Anyone Still Grind There Rims ?

Pashley26

I've tried smooth rims and it works as long as the rim is clean and dry and they screams.

I've tried smooth grinded rims it's also works but without a fat brake booster I slipped a lot.

Now I have harshly grinded rims with the green try-all hard pads and there's no alternative for me. They get slippery in water but it's nothing compared to smooth rims.

They are totally silent, the only thing I hear is a smooth scratching sound that sounds quality.

I grind my rims with a rasp.

post-15818-1196709655_thumb.jpg

Edited by Henrik Y

Smooth rim is the best in my opinion.

My pads have lasted me ages, the brake works beast, my echo rim still has the sidewall colour for maximum sexiness.

Echo pads, Echo rim, Echo frame, can't go wrong as the pads have been designed for those circumstances.

I use tar of course (which is hard to see as my rim is black), but its brilliant because in say a drop gap or situation where you really want your brake to stick, you can slap tar all over the rim and it will hold brilliantly.

And of course the oposite, if you want your brake to be a bit quiter and not to stick as much, just leave the tar alone for a while.

The one downside to smooth rims which is not evident in grinds, and not so much discs, is the wet weather.

But I don't like riding in the wet, so what am I losing anyway?

My pads have lasted me ages, the brake works beast, my echo rim still has the sidewall colour for maximum sexiness.

Echo pads, Echo rim, Echo frame, can't go wrong as the pads have been designed for those circumstances.

I use tar of course (which is hard to see as my rim is black), but its brilliant because in say a drop gap or situation where you really want your brake to stick, you can slap tar all over the rim and it will hold brilliantly.

And of course the oposite, if you want your brake to be a bit quiter and not to stick as much, just leave the tar alone for a while.

The one downside to smooth rims which is not evident in grinds, and not so much discs, is the wet weather.

But I don't like riding in the wet, so what am I losing anyway?

I ran that setup for a while. I didn't really like it, because I found that you needed way too much tar for it to hold well, and then it made gaps harder because the brake didn't unlock as fast. So I tried grinding the rim, and it raped the echo pads in one ride.

So now I'm running Rock Blue's on a grind with a slight slight amount of tar. Perfect IMO.

Edited by Jason222

Surely if so many people grind their rims then their is a gap in the market for pre-ground rims. Not just someone taking a grinder to them, but a professional job done on a machine. I remember onza producing a prototype CNC "grind" on one of their rims.

anyone remember?

Andrew

Surely if so many people grind their rims then their is a gap in the market for pre-ground rims. Not just someone taking a grinder to them, but a professional job done on a machine. I remember onza producing a prototype CNC "grind" on one of their rims.

anyone remember?

Andrew

But if they did use cnc machines to "grind" the rim, they wouldn't be sharp. I remember someone knurling them though

Edited by Matt Gibson

I seem to fit with number 3 at the moment. It works really well, better than a grind, grinds are actually a waste of space unless you plan on riding in the bad weather.

Not really, they make your brake hold better and bite more.