An Man Who Used To Ride...

Decade Ago

Hey,

Im just passing through as I am bored at work. Im 25 in a couple of weeks time and Ive been sat here thinking how god damn old I feel.

When I was 15 I started riding a new sport called bike trials, headed up by the two Martins and Rob Warner. We are talking 'Dirt' and 'Chainspotting' video days here. I loved it, me and a group of friends spent practically everyday after school riding without a care in the world. Exploring the streets of Southampton at all times of the day, and night, for new places to ride. I can easily say these were the best years of my life (so far).

I remember going to Bike 97 and meeting the Martins and seeing them do things I could only dream of doing on a bike!

I turned 18 during college and by then I had all but stopped riding, my biggest mistake. :(

Now ten years on and another few stone in weight Im sat here still wishing I had the time and telent I had back then. Im so jealous of all the videos and pictures Ive seen on here and sites like YouTube. Kids are doing some unreal stuff these days, riding sections and things we would just ride by and think nothing of.

So keep up the good work lads (and lasses), progress the sport and make it bigger and bigger.

I still have my 'Rocket' bike buried deep in my garage, maybe Ill dig it out and give all the old lads a call.

If anyones interested I live in Oxford during the week and was a freelance photographer for a few years, I work very odd hours but I could be up for shooting some trials shots of any talented locals...

Oh yea, does anyone know Mike Graves from the Hampshire scene, I havnt ridden with him for years! It would be good to catch up.

Ta,

Alex

Ah the good old days, how I miss them.

What am I on about, I'm 17?!

Well, it's true, we used to have such a laugh when I was a jumper/bmxer. Trials is more fun, but we argue so much now. And I only have one riding buddy, so I end up not riding a lot now. CBA at the moment, it comes and goes.

I used to always want one of those orange rocket demo frames.

Yea, the first one I had was a Rocket FAB Stage One duel Slalom frame in red. The only colour and frame Rocket made at the time. The code on the bottom said it was number 8 made! I learnt everything on that bike and rode it very hard. Many months later I cracked it, by then Rocket had produced a trials specific frame so I bought that.

Im liking the look of the Echo and Zoo! bikes, I might have to transfer all my old parts onto a new frame.... :D

mike i still going strong in the world of trials........dave marshal is 25 or near abouts......she still rides.....i looks up to him i do :$

get on you bike feel the love of trials once again

Thats great news to hear Mike is still riding, he must be pretty good by now! :D:P I studied with him at college, that seems like a lifetime ago now!

He drove down to Bournemouth to do a small photoshoot with me a few years later when I was at Uni there. Ill dig out the pictures when I get back to Southampton...

None of the mobile numbers I have for him work now. :(

Actually while Im thinking about it, do any of you oldies reading this remember the old Yahoo! Trials club??

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/modan...cktrialsriding/

It looks to be all still there but no one has posted for a looooong time. I was a mod on there, Alex (Shift_6_6_6) along with four others.

Those were the days! There must be someone out there that remember this! :lol:

Sorry to bore you all with this kind of crap but Im desperate to go back six or so years and ride again. :D

Thats great news to hear Mike is still riding, he must be pretty good by now! :D:P I studied with him at college, that seems like a lifetime ago now!

He drove down to Bournemouth to do a small photoshoot with me a few years later when I was at Uni there. Ill dig out the pictures when I get back to Southampton...

None of the mobile numbers I have for him work now. :(

Actually while Im thinking about it, do any of you oldies reading this remember the old Yahoo! Trials club??

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/modan...cktrialsriding/

It looks to be all still there but no one has posted for a looooong time. I was a mod on there, Alex (Shift_6_6_6) along with four others.

Those were the days! There must be someone out there that remember this! :lol:

Sorry to bore you all with this kind of crap but Im desperate to go back six or so years and ride again. :D

ah good old oldandstockuk I was a member of that, boon was on there, he still rides and si harvey

I deffinatly miss the old days

wow just found a post of mine from september 2001 i was pattdon_2000

There are a few riders kicking around here who are still intrested in riding and do ride now and again. One of them being older than you. I'm 21 but never gave up riding just moved from trials to bmx and now i'm back with a few various builds. I'm back with the riding standard now and i'm sure you could get back into no problem as long as you've got the intrest and time.

What ever happened to XStreet and Shaun that ran it?

Shaun went away on a tour of duty (he's a Navy chopper pilot by day) and left the business in the incapable hands of some skater punk who basically let the business crumble around him. A guy called Tim from Portland took it over and from what I understand still occasionally does a little bit of trading as X-Street but nothing much. Shaun's still around, saw him the other day being a marshal at the Weymouth beach motocross but haven't spoken to him for a while.

Dave

You know it makes sense! I don't think I ever used modandstocktrials but I remember many evenings camped on the Trialskings forum awaiting new posts...

There's plenty of 'oldies' about (I'm 24 now) so you won't feel out of place :wink2:

Ads