Looking For A New Car

Siders77

Looking at a new car atm to replace the shitter I have now.

Been looking at a 51 Reg astra advertised in a garage near me. £1999 it's currently priced at.

BUT it has 130k on the clock, should that be a problem? My dad thinks I should avoid it because it's a petrol engine and apparently they don't wear as well as diesels.

Here's a link to it- Astra

Also I've been told that the air filter on it is a bad idea because it's an open one and will confuse the sensors or something?

Should I go for it or avoid it?

If not what should I go for. Want something that's cheap for me to insure (Insurance group 5 at the most) as I'm paying about 2k for a 1.1 fiesta now!

Cheers for any help.

Nope, do not get it...

Look at the front bumper ? Obviously thats quite cheap for a car of that year etc etc etc....

It's obviously had some damage there, if you do choose to buy it....go to view it, and check in front of the raditor....Pull the seals back, look for overspray on cabels/pipes in the engine bay and scrutinise EVERYTHING. Check the scuttle panel for water marks, look underneith the bonnet itself for any over spray or other signs of damage, take the oil fill cap off and smell it....If you can smell petrol the Head gaskets on it's way out.

If it's got bent chassis rails/subframe it's f**ked !

This isn't stupid advice, I'm a mechanic.

Jarrod

Sorry for stereotyping, but if its done 130K, judging by the alloys (and do i spy lexus style rear lights?) its probably been ragged by some little boy racer for some of those miles...

I wouldn't.

That car doesn't say 'boy racer' to me. It says rep in a company car. Which leads to motorway miles (not a bad thing) and general ragging since they don't own it (a bad thing).

Yeh true, thought it may be something like that.

Nope, do not get it...

Look at the front bumper ? Obviously thats quite cheap for a car of that year etc etc etc....

It's obviously had some damage there, if you do choose to buy it....go to view it, and check in front of the raditor....Pull the seals back, look for overspray on cabels/pipes in the engine bay and scrutinise EVERYTHING. Check the scuttle panel for water marks, look underneith the bonnet itself for any over spray or other signs of damage, take the oil fill cap off and smell it....If you can smell petrol the Head gaskets on it's way out.

Jarrod

Nice one cheers, to be honest I didn't really notice the bumper. We saw it on the weekend but didn't take a proper look as we thought it would be high on the insurance, after looking we found out it was a group 5 (Same as the Fiesta I have now) so I didn't bother to take much notice of it.

A lot of astra turbo owners get problems with the AFM going because the oil in the aftermarket filter buggers up the sensor but while it happens to most people its not exactly frequent.

Astras are great cars but i'd get something with less miles. Look on http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb for more info.

Cheers for the link, I'll have a look there now :)

It's not advertised for that in the garage, it's down for £1999 waiting on an insurance quote to see how much it is.

I don't see how you can tell it's been a boy racers just by looking at the wheels. I've seen plenty of people with nice cars which have been modified a bit and they don't rag the tits off them.

I'd probably stick with Tomms theory of it being a reps car.

The only reason I'm quite interested in it is because it's quite cheap for a 51 reg, that's probably a bad thing, though :P

yea that aint overly cheap, in fact id say itd be pretty expensive taking into account the mileage.

and its been a typical rude boi chav car, not even a modified car in the sense of someones whos modifying it to improve its looks, is it me or has it got aftermarket skirts on it, chuck in the lexus lights, the cheapo universal filter and the cheapo alloys, and its certainly a ripspeed/halfords special.

also can i point out, the insurance wont be cheap on that, if your declaring the modifications on it, you may as well be driving a standard astra sri(most insurance companies tend to want 10-15% for non manufacturer alloys, and the same again for an induction kit(if your insurance even allows "performance" modifications that is, if it has got aftermarket skirts then your looking at anywhere between 10 and 25% dependant on insurer, and lights could probably get chucked under general body mods(with the skirts) or just ignored. but your looking at anywhere between 30% and 55% extra on your premium due to the mods, if your insurer covers all/any of the mods.

if you go to the trouble of putting it back to standard, itll set you back another few hundred quid. by which time you might as well of bought a standard astra.

bloke at work bought a 52 plate astra 1.7 cdti with 60k on the clock for around the £2500 mark, with 12 months warranty, new pads, new discs, 2 new front tyres etc. so i wouldnt say its cheap at all.

Nope, do not get it...

Jarrod

The lines between the wing, bonnet etc are awful, its been smashed at some point.

2 grand for an astra with 130k on the clock really isn't cheap. I helped my grandma buy one of those except it was the club version it had 12 thousand miles on the clock when they got it last year sometime 51 plate aswell for £3500 through a dealer. i'm 100% sure you could find a much nicer example of the car for that price and it won't have those undersized gash wheels on it

you should buy my astra g :) under 70k on the clocks mechanically sound, always looked after and unragged. you could have my exhaust system too :). My mate has first dibs on the car but it would go to the highest bidder and i would sell it to you for less than that chav mobile :).

That's where the bonnet's not been shut properly :P , it was fine when I saw the car on the weekend.

gotta love the way the bonnet doesn't quite fit :) hehe

whats your budget fella?

;)

Probably about 2k at the most.

you should buy my astra g :) under 70k on the clocks mechanically sound, always looked after and unragged. you could have my exhaust system too :) . My mate has first dibs on the car but it would go to the highest bidder and i would sell it to you for less than that chav mobile :) .

Talk to you on MSN later if you're on.