Riding On The Pavement- Is It Legal?

ibi123

Does anybody know if riding on the pavement is legal because some of my friends got their details taken down for it.

Round my area if you were on the road with a trials bike you would get run over by like cars going along at 60.

Are you just not aloud to cycle on the pavement if you wheels are over a certain size or is it like no bike at all on the pavement?.

Well, if you have 20" or below wheels, your bike classes as a childs bike, so your legally aloud to ride on the pavements, and also if you are 16 or under you are legally aloud to ride on the pavements

No, and no. Urban myths, apparently. At least not in this country. If you're under 16 you can't be prosecuted for it, but it's still not legal. There was an article on here recently - I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycling_and_the_law.php

The primary legislation which makes cycling on a footway an offence is section 72 of the 1835 Highways Act, this provides that a person shall be guilty of an offence if he "shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon any such footpath or causeway."

Section 85 of the Local Government Act 1888 extended the definition of "carriage" to include "bicycles, tricycles, velocipedes and other similar machines."

The object of Section 72 Highways Act 1835 was intended not to protect all footpaths, but only footpaths or causeways by the side of a road, and that this is still the case has been ruled in the high court. The legislation makes no exceptions for small wheeled or children's cycles, so even a child riding on a footway is breaking the law. However, if they are under the age of criminal responsibility they cannot, of course, face prosecution.

Whilst you can be done in for riding on the pavement, its not really a full legislation in my opinion.

Because at the end of the day its down to the officer.

Imagine it like this, if you smashed a window on purpose it is almost definate that a copper will nick you, but riding on the path is only seen to be a nuisance if in a busy public place.

Most police officers don't mind if your riding on the path if the road is busy, or if your on an empty path around a local housing estate.

But however you will get the one odd, power mad, pedantic, jobsworth who will stop you in any circumstance, so watch out.

Just don't argue against what they say, as afterall, jobsworth or not, they are the law.

this makes me feel quite lucky,I've ridden past coppers on foot and in cars countless times on the pavement,be it on my zoo or my bmx,none of them have ever said anything...But I suppose they know I'm just too hard for them.

I've never got in trouble for it around Cambridge but it's a very bike friendly town. Also I think the coppers here realise that the enthusiast (ie. generally fairly skilled) cyclist is a lot less dangerous on the pavement than the middle aged women who belt along at 20mph and think that a bell is a replacement for working brakes.

I nearly hit some noob when I was on the pavement, she stepped out of her doorway about 2 feet in front of me. I stopped about 5mm from her, f**king gay.

I was going at walking pace as well, if I was walking I would have walked into her, I can stop faster on my bike I reckon. Gimp.

I heard if you seat post was less than 12mm then it classes as a kids bike, which is allowed on the pavement. But in my hands, a kids bike has done 25mph down a hill, we found one and i razzed it, my mate went on my xc bike just behind me and the speedo said 25.

It's up to the copper who turns up, if they're a twat, then you'll get bollocked. They all know us round New Mills, so they just move us on, "We told you about this last week lads! Stop riding on the walls!"

I nearly hit some noob when I was on the pavement, she stepped out of her doorway about 2 feet in front of me. I stopped about 5mm from her, f**king gay.

I was going at walking pace as well, if I was walking I would have walked into her, I can stop faster on my bike I reckon. Gimp.

I heard if you seat post was less than 12mm then it classes as a kids bike, which is allowed on the pavement. But in my hands, a kids bike has done 25mph down a hill, we found one and i razzed it, my mate went on my xc bike just behind me and the speedo said 25.

It's up to the copper who turns up, if they're a twat, then you'll get bollocked. They all know us round New Mills, so they just move us on, "We told you about this last week lads! Stop riding on the walls!"

Oh dear lord. I think she's quite entitled to step out of her doorway. Your in the wrong completely! You were breaking the law. (I ride everywhere on the pavement)

Phil

Its illegal to ride on the pavement. I'm not sure if there is any size restrictions but at the end of the day if you ride a mod and you look about 10 I doubt any policemen will stop you. Its quite unlikely you will get caught though and if you see a policeman just hop off your bike straight away, walk apast then keep on riding.

Phil

Hell no!! :lol: . the old bill seem to have picked up on it alot around my area, last 2-3 rides we had this copper tell us his planted these flower beds we were hoping over he said he help put in :giggle:

Then today we see the same copper up at are fav spot and he tells us to leave then he followed us down the road :ermm: tosser!!!

Is just best to be nice and move on, as they just bloddy fine you 30 quid (N) (thanks to the 30 odd signs everywhere)

Edited by thewoomaster