Graphics Programs

grantallsop

I was reading this topic the other day and people had made themselfs there own frame designs. What programs does eveyone use to do this? as i would like to try and have a go myself lol Sorry if this is more aimed at the chit chat section but it has some trials related stuff.

Cheers

..Grant..

I was reading this topic the other day and people had made themselfs there own frame designs. What programs does eveyone use to do this? as i would like to try and have a go myself lol Sorry if this is more aimed at the chit chat section but it has some trials related stuff.

Cheers

..Grant..

we all use pro desktop 8 grant buddy.

A few years ago (Probably 2001) PTC were giving pro desktop away for free. I may have a copy of the free version around, though the hard drive where it was stored isn't in the PC at the moment... Too busy on ProEngineer instead, a much more powerful program, but then ProE is what the Volkswagen Audi group, John Deere, Toyota and Harley Davidson and many more are using, so it'd want to be good...

There used to be a free 'student' version of ProDesktop available for download from their site but I don't know what the score is now. I personally use something a bit special which I'm not going to name on here but it's very good :D

Solidworks is quite a good package but not my favourite.

Prodesktop will only allow pretty basic geometry to be constructed, as well as allowing incompletely defined models, which will crash later if the wrong dimension is changed, to be constructed. ProE adds the dimensions automatically as you sketch, as well as not making stupid assumptions on the geometric constraining of sketches (Absolute hell to deal with on ProDesktop sometimes) preventing you from making under or overconstrained sketches (ProDesktop stops overconstraining dimensions, though not geometric overconstraining but not underconstraining).

ProE has some seriously high end features (I've been using it for years and I'm still not using anything like its full range of features). If you have complex design constraints that you need the program to apply automatically as the design changes then ProE is the only way to go. I've used solidworks briefly and found it more use friendly initially but slower than ProE to work with.

The ProDesktop photorender is excellent compared to ProE's rendering (Provided you can live with less lighting/perspective features), though there's an advanced photorender extension for ProE that is very powerful...

Prodesktop will only allow pretty basic geometry to be constructed, as well as allowing incompletely defined models, which will crash later if the wrong dimension is changed, to be constructed. ProE adds the dimensions automatically as you sketch, as well as not making stupid assumptions on the geometric constraining of sketches (Absolute hell to deal with on ProDesktop sometimes) preventing you from making under or overconstrained sketches (ProDesktop stops overconstraining dimensions, though not geometric overconstraining but not underconstraining).

ProE has some seriously high end features (I've been using it for years and I'm still not using anything like its full range of features). If you have complex design constraints that you need the program to apply automatically as the design changes then ProE is the only way to go. I've used solidworks briefly and found it more use friendly initially but slower than ProE to work with.

The ProDesktop photorender is excellent compared to ProE's rendering (Provided you can live with less lighting/perspective features), though there's an advanced photorender extension for ProE that is very powerful...

Your advise is much appreciated, i think i will try and get ProE now, it just sounds better lol