Helicoiling/tapping/bodging Brake Mounts

The Duck

Ok usual deal, threaded the brake mounts in my one month old Czar :(

Just wondering what my options are? Getting it helicoiled is a complete pain in the arse, I don’t know of a place near-by that does it... Also don’t especially want to wack a bigger bolt in it, because people react to it like its got aids when its time to sell it.

Is there anything else I can do?

Don’t suppose anybody’s got a helicoiling kit they fancy selling on the cheap?

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Quackers

Ebay ;P

A kit is about £20, but then you need the correct size drill bit, a tap wrench and a drill.

Cheaper to get someone else to do it. they are piss easy to do though.

I have a drill and a tapping kit (thanks grandad), drill bits are dirt cheap... Just need instructions now...

There aren't any one ebay that are the right size, and like i said, i don't know of anyone local...

Drill hole to the required size (tells you in the kit)

Tap said hole with provided tap.

Insert helicoil with the 7 shaped bar, with 2 prongs at the bottom. screw it in until desired depth.

Using the other supplied tool, with a quick hit from a hammer, bash the top of the tool and knock the small bar off the helicoil.

Job done.

i bought mine for £29.99 your best bet is to google "m6 heli coil kit" and find a trustworthy company that you can ring and double check everything..

in the mean time! but your bolt in the dethreaded mount and put a jubilee clip around it....i did i t for about a month :P worked fine....just the pads were further out.

i bought mine for £29.99 your best bet is to google "m6 heli coil kit" and find a trustworthy company that you can ring and double check everything..

in the mean time! but your bolt in the dethreaded mount and put a jubilee clip around it....i did i t for about a month :P worked fine....just the pads were further out.

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.as...CFQuuQwodnlhj_g Any good ? :rolleyes:

I need to get hold of the shop thats got mine on "order" It should be £30 but my dad know the lads who work there so he's getting it cheaper. I have a like sort of jig thing, Just a 25mm thik plate of steel with holes drilled, this makes the drill and tap go in perfectly stright. Worth getting them right first time!

ok for a start dont bother with helicoils as they are shit, what you want is a thread insert i think they are 7mm for a M5 x0.8, as a helicoil is just a small coil it cant take that much pressure, but a thread insert is a solid part and wont fail

try the brand name timesert

Visit My Website