went past a sneeky bugger arive alive van today on the Dual carrageway,

when i saw the b*****d i was doing about 77mph maybe 76 or 78 about that,

i was coming around a bend when i saw it, i then slowed down to about 65,

when i spotted it it was about 1 6th of a mile away,

so the question is,

can they get your speed around a bend,

could it calculate my speed in literally a second or two,

is 77mph enough to get a fine?

how long do they need to time you before they get an avergae speed.

cheers! just dont want a damn speeding fine,

ban the damn things just another way of sponging money of people grrr

cheers

They have some new cameras that take your speed about 1 mile away before you spot it, I dont think they are implemeneted in too many places, generally in places with long straight roads so it wouldnt be that cam be be warned.

I am pretty sure they could get you round a bend otherwise thats a huge oversight in the speed cam system.

good evening,

went past a sneeky bugger arive alive van today on the Dual carrageway,

when i saw the b*****d i was doing about 77mph maybe 76 or 78 about that,

i was coming around a bend when i saw it, i then slowed down to about 65,

when i spotted it it was about 1 6th of a mile away,

so the question is,

can they get your speed around a bend,

could it calculate my speed in literally a second or two,

is 77mph enough to get a fine?

how long do they need to time you before they get an avergae speed.

cheers! just dont want a damn speeding fine,

ban the damn things just another way of sponging money of people grrr

cheers

right, was the dual carriageway restricted or was it national speed limit.

if it was national speed limit, its a 70mph limit. and generally most forces+ camera partnerships work on the 10%+ 2mph limit, in which case 79mph would be the threshhold for 3 points and £60.

if it was a 60, its 68, so if you were doing 77 at the time, youll get 3 points.

bear in mind, at 77mph, your speedos probably overreading by 2/3 mph, so that 77 was probably 74 mph.

if you want to see where they got you, go to the same spot of road tomorrow, obviously under the speed limits. and look for either white pacer lines(most like be 2 sets of 2 lines about 1.5 metres apart), or possibly sensors on the road(like wires running across). may not be there, but often its the easiest way to tell where it was.

I'm pretty sure that the camera would be right, it sends out a wave of some sort which is then sent back to the receiver, which then the math calculates the speed pretty accurately and it all happens within .something of a second i beleive.

Plus if youre going to speed, be ready for the consequences :P

Edited by Bondy

cheers to the usefull replies,

should be ok then i think,

it was a national speed limit road so if you 10% plus 2 is right ill be fine.

i wasnt speeding intentionally, was busy so was watching traffic rather than my speed which i think is more important?

thanks again people!

and to everyone else who doesnt speed well done jesus would be proud!

I'm pretty sure that the camera would be right, it sends out a wave of some sort which is then sent back to the receiver, which then the math calculates the speed pretty accurately and it all happens within .something of a second i beleive.

and in that split second two police men can give each other head and consume several doughnuts each!

Plus if youre going to speed, be ready for the consequences :P

thats got bugger all to do with price of eggs/the cost of a speeding ticket. the cameras should in theory be 100% accurate. (although theres many people with optical timing units who would argue this with a lot of gatsos) calibrated to within 0.05 mph etc.

what me+ oli where saying was the cars speedo wont be accurate, cars speedos overread from factory, moreso as the speed increased. ive been told by a ;) friend ;) that theres 6mph difference between me speedo reading and gps reading when me cars goin 120 mph+ on the speedo, and thats with bigger wheels on it too(which should make it underread).

and in that split second two police men can give each other head and consume several doughnuts each!

or they can f**k you over for speeding haha!

thats got bugger all to do with price of eggs/the cost of a speeding ticket.

Where did i say it did?

Edited by Bondy

depends if its an accident hotspot or if there has been any recent accidents on that stretch of road, i there has then theyre generally a bit tighter with the tolerances on cameras. the whole max legal speed +2mph+10% is rubbish, it may well be in your region, but in others its 0% and others its higher, its down to the discresion of the local police force.

just cross your fingers and hope, ive driven past police cars on the motorway at silly speeds rushing to work and seen nothing in the post.

if your lucky you'll be more careful next time.

The police have to give you 10% either side they don't have to give you 10% + anything no discresion involved, although most gatso's are set 10% + 6. Car speedo's over read by quite alot usually 8-13 mph at the top end.

you should be fine if they aren't being cock's.

that will learn you for speeding :P

I'm just wondering if that's proper english, can you say "that'll learn you" because I thought it should be "that'll teach you" but I see quite alot of people doing it the first way. Stupid random question, if anyone knows?

P.s When I'm doing 80mph, my Tomtom reads out that I'm doing 71mph. The tomtom's gona be alot more accurate I know. I dont think there's anything to worry about, I always do 80mph (71mph) through gatsos on motorways. Never had a problem yet.

I'm just wondering if that's proper english, can you say "that'll learn you" because I thought it should be "that'll teach you" but I see quite alot of people doing it the first way. Stupid random question, if anyone knows?

P.s When I'm doing 80mph, my Tomtom reads out that I'm doing 71mph. The tomtom's gona be alot more accurate I know. I dont think there's anything to worry about, I always do 80mph (71mph) through gatsos on motorways. Never had a problem yet.

I've always thought it was "that'll teach you" or "You'll learn from that" .

hardly tokyo drift style lad! lol

if any driver tells me they havent ever speeded then they deserve a medal

yeah, i speed, but when i get caught i don't moan!

If they can see you, they can do you. Straight from the horses mouth, wheni got caught a while back...

yeah, i speed, but when i get caught i don't moan!

If they can see you, they can do you. Straight from the horses mouth, wheni got caught a while back...

id hardly say im moaning in this topic, simply just asking a few questions about things im not sure about, after all this is chit chat? right?

My speedo isn't quite that bad - It over-reads by about 5-6 mph compared with Tomtom.

you drive a fiat? or alfa cus thats a big difference. the tomtom will be accurate

also, cameras do work at night.the ones on mobile speed traps anyway. i drove through a town which has straight long road which is a typical hotspot. low and behold a volvo with a camera behind the rear window pointed straight down the road <_<

As has been said, speedo's MUST over-read when they leave the factory. It's illegal for a manufacturer to sell a car that reads slower than you're actually driving so they compensate by adding a good 7-10% on. However, funnily enough they do seem to 'come back' at higher speeds. My dad's car is like 10% out accross the usual speeds to 70 but bump it up to 150 and it matches his GPS... interesting.

I've just been done for speeding on the M6, doing 86 which musta been reading like 94 on the speedo. Oops. I blame the rental car company- was supposed to have a 1.6 focus and they upgraded me to a 2.2TD Mondeo ST. Meh.

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo