Body Strength.

Ryan Blackwell

Hey people. Weird question i just thorght to myself. Which muscles are used most or/and most important for trials.

Example. Which muscles would you use most for a gap. (i mean like would you need leg muscles to slam the pedals for distance or upper body strength to throw the bike for distance)

Weird question i know lol.

Cheers.

Edited by baseboy

But as has been said many times before, it's quite a specific type of muscle which is required to be useful for trials. Bulk on it's own doesn't really help, in fact it probably hinders more than anything. What's important is that explosive power which doesn't have to mean high muscle mass (look at phil williams, CLS or even Sam Wheeler (sorry Sam!)).

I've also been thinking about this and I think it's not so important with the muscle strength.

The technique and perfect timing is more important. When I look at Ryan Leech f.ex. he doesn't pull so hard that he crap his pants when doing the high and long jumps with a 180s included. And when I try to do a jump not even close the his range I pull so hard that it feels like the bike is going to break.

But since I started with trial my neck muscles has grown and the muscles between the shoulder blades. I've felt the difference when I take on my wetsuit, because now days it's very tight around my neck, and it wasn't before. I don't know about the legs because I never where tight pants :P but sometimes after heavy trialing I've felt some exercise aches in my butt muscles, so they are probably used a lot.

Edited by Henrik Y

In comparison if theres a 'light' person (say 60kg) and a 'heavier' person (say 90kg(im not referring to fat people, just people who are built bigger)) Would the lighter person find it easier to get fit, like get the Cardiovascular into shape compared to a heavier person? Assuming both people's fitness increases at the same rate, then the lighter person should get to optimum fitness quicker because they dont have so much weight to carry? Or am I totally wrong?

but sometimes after heavy trialing I've felt some exercise aches in my butt muscles, so they are probably used a lot.

Nah, that's from clenching your sphincter when doing big gaps!

On a more serious note though, seen the size of Leech's calf muscles? Ashton's forearms? These are the final leverage points before the bike (your feet/hands are on the ends of them!) I believe this where you need to concentrate strength building on the most. Obviously the other muscles connected to them are important too, but maybe not as crucial. I try to do running and push ups as often as I can (which is not often enough). Your diet is important, eat raw tuna after a workout yum yum. Also it's when you are resting that your muscles grow, so a good nights sleep is required too. Remember to stretch before and after and do something lightly demanding the next day to keep the lactic acid down.

http://www.alwaysgaining.com/ is quite helpful. It looks very like a scam but I gave it a go and all is well. It just concentrates too much on World's Strongest Man type stuff for trials riding. Quite a lot of handy info in there though, you just got to find it.

In comparison if theres a 'light' person (say 60kg) and a 'heavier' person (say 90kg(im not referring to fat people, just people who are built bigger)) Would the lighter person find it easier to get fit, like get the Cardiovascular into shape compared to a heavier person? Assuming both people's fitness increases at the same rate, then the lighter person should get to optimum fitness quicker because they dont have so much weight to carry? Or am I totally wrong?

You need mass to turn into mucle, again why your diet is so important.

Now you sounds a little to serious with diets and stuff. Stretching before riding and warming up is important to prevent injuries.

But diet and training with resting on schedule is for "health addicts"(don't know if that is proper English).

Listen to the body and give it what it want. Some times it screams for biking(almost every day), and after biking it screams for ice cream milkshake with extra sugar. As long as the body doesn't have any problems with overweight or injuries then it knows what it need and you should give it that.

About the weight that Scopse talked about. Generally I think it's like that but more muscles with the cost of more weight cold be more effective but I don't think it makes so big difference. The advantages you get from more muscle weight is that the bike gets lighter compared to the persons weight.

Now you sounds a little to serious with diets and stuff. Stretching before riding and warming up is important to prevent injuries.

But diet and training with resting on schedule is for "health addicts"(don't know if that is proper English).

Listen to the body and give it what it want. Some times it screams for biking(almost every day), and after biking it screams for ice cream milkshake with extra sugar. As long as the body doesn't have any problems with overweight or injuries then it knows what it need and you should give it that.

About the weight that Scopse talked about. Generally I think it's like that but more muscles with the cost of more weight cold be more effective but I don't think it makes so big difference. The advantages you get from more muscle weight is that the bike gets lighter compared to the persons weight.

Nah Im not that serious. Its just if you want to get the most from it thats one way to do it. With me, I have to keep an eye on what I eat anyway but in a totally laid back "hmm, havent had much salt this week... 3 packs of crisps it is then." kind of way. As for resting, if Ive been doing heavy stuff, I just make sure Im relaxed in front of the PS2 or PC rather than doing something 'active' like DIY or whatever.

i'd say fore-arm strenght and stamina are fairly important ,but all round strenght is needed too.like monkeyseemonkeydo i think explosive power/fast twitch muscles are a good asset for trials,as they allow you to accelerate quick wich is handy for moves.

also stamina is importants because what good is explosive power if you can only do a move twice before your nackered.

steve

Trapezius and Latissiumus dorsi :P

I agree :)

yeah i wikipedia'd them, didnt realise how big they were. the picture shows them ending as low as your pelvis.

im not too bothered about a good diet for trials as long as i have food beforehand. i play squash and my sister says its a dangerous amout of sugar i have before it but without it i cant hold a rally after like 10mins of playin