Dual Disc

loser

i've just bought a simtra st-1 and i'm hoping to run dual disc on it.

i've heard of bb7's snapping, i've also heard of hope mono trials not holding enough for rear.

how long do bb7's last before they snap? is there any way of getting a hope to work well, as tarty adamn used one on his kot and it seemed to work well.

what are avid juicy's like?

just need some help on what disc to consider..

cheers

youd have to wack an avid pretty hard to snap it, ive seen one snap, but i belive it was very old

its no somthing to worry about

my friend has broken one (not from hitting it) but from gapping to front and the caliper snapping.

so not many of them snap? then i'm likely to go for an avid bb7

any reviews on hope mono trials? from people who have set them up properly?

If you have a Hope Mono set up properly and an Avid BB7 set up properly, I'd put a 100quid on you choosing the Avid.

i might just pretend that i like a hope then :-

doesn't tarty adam swear by hopes? why would he choose one over a bb7?

I currently have 07 Hopes on front and rear...the rear is 180mm, front is 160mm...The lock is incredible and its more than enough :) All weather brake, any condition and self modulating so performance doesn't fade with your pads...

I'd say if you've got the extra dollar for the hopes, then get one and you won't regret it...

I don't quite know why Hope has this bad reputation...usually when you hear the negitives its usually on a 'my mate had one' basis. Hope have been manufacturing and developing brakes for a long time; invest in one and you'll buy something that has excellent craftsmanship, reliability and if anything should go wrong, amazing customer service.

Hopes cost a little bit more than most brakes, but its worth it.

Remeber simtras have a +40 disc mount on so the smallest hope or avid rotor you can run is a 200 witch will work fine.

Matt Rushton

Un true, the +40mm meas that it is possible to use a 180mm rotor with a front 160mm caliper and a 200mm rotor with a front 180mm (rear 160mm iso) caliper.

I had a rear 200mm 06 hope on my bike and it was VERY good, only thing that made me change to a rim brake again was that the spoke flex put me off on certain moves.

Adam

gotta say i run a bb7 on th rear of my bike and i love it, great power (i run a 180 rotor), modulation and its so quiet :) the pad adjusters on the caliper itself are great for fine tuning the feel you get at the lever and witha decent cable the feel is always smooth and crisp. i only know of one bb7 breaking and rich pearson did that...... he's another one to tlak to if you want to hear about avids. just make sure you get your wheel built good and strong and regulary check the tension of the spokes.

value for money wise bb7's are awesome.

craig

gotta say i run a bb7 on th rear of my bike and i love it, great power (i run a 180 rotor), modulation and its so quiet :) the pad adjusters on the caliper itself are great for fine tuning the feel you get at the lever and witha decent cable the feel is always smooth and crisp. i only know of one bb7 breaking and rich pearson did that...... he's another one to tlak to if you want to hear about avids. just make sure you get your wheel built good and strong and regulary check the tension of the spokes.

value for money wise bb7's are awesome.

craig

well i'm about 13 stone.. reckon it would hold if i cased a tap?

Both Tall_Rob and I run 200mm Hope Trials 2007 on the rear of a Simtra ST-1, and if you ask anyone else who has tried our bikes, the brakes lock plenty, with all the modulation you need. Some people suggest they see my brake slipping when riding with me, but realistically I have the weakest fingers in the world (partly due to nearly 10 years riding), and I know when I've not made a trick, so not to bother pulling the brake hard ;)

However, Scopse has a valid point, the BB7's really do lock like sticking a stick through your spokes - I have heard of them "exploding" though.

There is also the issue of reliablity. Cable brakes will deteriorate over time, there is no denying that. It's less noticeable on a front brake, but on a rear brake, especially a stock, you'll notice it. My hope is the same now as it is when I bought it.

From an absolute point of view, I cannot give an opinion on a BB7 as I have never run one. However, I CAN give an opinion on the Hope Mono Trials as I have done for a lengthy period, and I wouldn't be running one if it wasn't good enough to hold my 13 st 8 and robs 15st+. :)

• 1 month later...

andy b's snapped 2 on the front i belive.

they mainly snap on the calipers but the 08' version have been reinforced.

it also could be something to do with the fact they were 203mm rotors.

i couldnt imagine one snaping on the rear though maybe only after a year or so.

hope i helped :)

..rob..

I run hope on the back it works like perfect. Its the best brake i ever had

I think it is well worth a 100 quid more.

take it you like my brake then :P

id say mono trial any day of the week, set up properly they are awsome! although i have never tried a bb7 on the rear, so i cant really judge between the two, but my mono trial (now his above) was/is awsome in any conditions!