James Davies..... Sponsorship?

Kieran@ZSClothing

QUOTE (Ben b @ Oct 14 2007, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a year . oh my god he started before me . ive been riding year 5 months . what .

cheers ben .x i no he aint been riding a year .

ben you was riding way befor james.

hes a good rider but hes not sponsership good , although he is 14 there re people of that age doing bigger and more teqnical stuff but he definetly has a chance with a local shop .

Yeh thats what i mean, lol i know he won't get sponsored by tarty or anything lol.

If he wants sponsorship then really he needs to get into the competition sceen and get some good results, and hopefully a shop will sponsor you and eventually if your lucky a manufacturer will. Or he could just ride street all time and make videos and hope that a shop will see promise in him and sponsor him but usually shops that sponsor street riders want riders that are older and doing bigger more impressive moves because thats what impresses people and seduce them to that bike and shop. Also most manufacturers arnt interested in how high you can sidehop but rather how few dabs you put down they want competition results really.

Sorry, but what shops going to go through the trouble of signing upto bebo to see pictures of a rider? I know I certainly couldn't be arsed.

The best thing the lad can do is make a few good videos that show his level of riding and potential, if not, some good pictures that we can all actually see without signing into bebo (Y)

Also good competition results are a good bonus ;)

Yeah it's either vids or good comp results. He also has to be good, not 'good for his age' good. That doesn't cut it for sponsorship.

Shit though, i've been riding for years and he's better than me. Ha.

Firstly, I'd make sure you go about it properly, if your asking for a job you don't send a poorly written e-mail with no info and no achievements to whom your e-mailing.

To me, automatically, I've got the wrong impression if that was to happen, even if the rider is amazing, there is more to having a sponsor than just being an amazing rider.

If you show the professionalism straight away your in with a good chance. The shop wants someone who is going to ride for the shop, take every measure to do their part in the "deal" and not just take it as a joke for some free/cheap bits. From experience (being somebody who sponsors people), this is main issue for me, the ability comes second.

I certainly think good competition results, having a good name for yourself at competitions and being well behaved at the same time (i.e someone who can be respected by other riders) are very important, as well as the whole Internet videos and pictures/media side of promoting whoever your sponsoring.

With all that in mind, it still wouldn't guarantee a sponsor. Whoever is going to sponsor you will more than likely be looking for a good rider, but if theres potential you could get some support.

Personally I wouldn't go for riders with just drop gap/big sidehop kind of riding, I'd like to see some overall ability rather than e-mailing a video/pictures with a few drop gaps and sidehops.

Phil.

Sorry, but what shops going to go through the trouble of signing upto bebo to see pictures of a rider? I know I certainly couldn't be arsed.

The best thing the lad can do is make a few good videos that show his level of riding and potential, if not, some good pictures that we can all actually see without signing into bebo (Y)

Also good competition results are a good bonus ;)

Well he clearly isn't gunna go to a shop and give them his bebo link, lol

Firstly, I'd make sure you go about it properly, if your asking for a job you don't send a poorly written e-mail with no info and no achievements to whom your e-mailing.

To me, automatically, I've got the wrong impression if that was to happen, even if the rider is amazing, there is more to having a sponsor than just being an amazing rider.

If you show the professionalism straight away your in with a good chance. The shop wants someone who is going to ride for the shop, take every measure to do their part in the "deal" and not just take it as a joke for some free/cheap bits. From experience (being somebody who sponsors people), this is main issue for me, the ability comes second.

I certainly think good competition results, having a good name for yourself at competitions and being well behaved at the same time (i.e someone who can be respected by other riders) are very important, as well as the whole Internet videos and pictures/media side of promoting whoever your sponsoring.

With all that in mind, it still wouldn't guarantee a sponsor. Whoever is going to sponsor you will more than likely be looking for a good rider, but if theres potential you could get some support.

Personally I wouldn't go for riders with just drop gap/big sidehop kind of riding, I'd like to see some overall ability rather than e-mailing a video/pictures with a few drop gaps and sidehops.

Phil.

Thanks for that mate, thats quite a handy little post. Adam

Anyone care to upload the photos that doesn't require signing up to, and involve a million emails a day with friend requests from people I've never heard of? :)

i will put a few up. this is james. iscase you arent a member of bebo.

few more

post-13807-1192358685_thumb.jpg

post-13807-1192358717_thumb.jpg

post-13807-1192358747_thumb.jpg

post-13807-1192358772_thumb.jpg

post-13807-1192358851_thumb.jpg

post-13807-1192358872_thumb.jpg

Edited by pengsmelly

I personaly don't see the big thing about sponsership, unless it somthing like tarty or a company local shops don't tend to be willing to give you anything and theres not much you can do for them on the buisness side. I ride demos for cycles uk and in exchange i get vouchers to spend in the shop wich is pretty cool but all the representing is done at demos. If I or anyother one of the demo rider's is riding street we are not acctully aloud to were there shirts or include the shop in anyway if stoped by police or we fall off or anything. The shop don't want anything to do with us riding street they want us purely for demo's. If you can get a good deal with a shop then by all means go for it. I only came across demo's due to riding with one of the guys from the shop with out knowing and he thought i was good enough to be apart of it. By the looks of it your good enough to get sponserd by a little shop but normally you or the shop don't gain much from it, it's hard to get a even ballence.

Good luck with video and sponser ship hope you get what your after (Y)

Jack :)