Car Soon, Anyone Now Cheap Cars To Insure?

Clarky

hi getting a car soon and i am not btohered what it is to be honest as long as insurance is cheap dont mind going third party if its a cheap car under a grand, anyone get insured for under 2 grand on thier own policy not thier mums e.t.c?If so can you tell me what car it was on thanks.

FYI if you add one of your parents as a 'named driver' the policy is still in your name (so you get your no claims bonus) but just having them on the policy brings the quote down.

Also voluntary excess is whatever you want it to be (the higher the excess the lower the premium) however all drivers under the age of 21 (could be 25) have to pay an extra compulsary young drivers excess of £250. So if you had a voluntary excess of £250 you would have to pay £500.

(bear in mind you only pay the excess if you have to make a claim.

Google to find out the insurance group of any car you're looking at buying, the lower the insurance group the lower the quotes.

Any small cars, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2

I've been looking at quotes on a Clio 1.2 and cheapest that were coming in were like £1800 on my own policy and for third party

Whaaat? i was doing insurance quotes because i was bored, i did one for a fully modifeid saxo vtr and it wasent that much!!!

saxos are bad because so many of them are baz'ed up and drive badly/crash a lot, so are civics (from insurance point of view)

cheap, relativly quick cars to buy/insure are mitusbishi colt cj? (1.6 group 6 i think) almera si (1.4 group 5?) almera sri (1.6 group 7)

17 year old insured as a named driver (able to get own no claims build up with Norwich Union) on a Rover 1.4i 16v dohc for 800quid a year. Was pretty happy with that.

That seems well cheap, when you say named driver are you the only driver/owner on the policy? Is that third party only?

Dave

It's with an Irish firm...I forget the name, it'll come to me soon...

Quinn direct?

thats who im with.

Fiat punto S mk1 1.2 8V £1.178.18 fully comp dad as named driver, me as owner.

I really need to get it sorted for my pass plus and change it to a full uk though, so looking at it being below £1000 atleast!

usually these sort of topics are flooded with responses geared towards the 306 dt.

so yeh. 306 dt, hdi. whichever u can afford

funny you should say that uve been looking at 1.4 meridian and 1.6 306's and there around 2400 to insure comprehensve on my own ploicy at 17

2400?

f**k that. :mellow:

I wouldn't pay over 1500 for a first car on insurance, completely not worth it.

For the year and a half i had my 306 i was under my dads name for 330 quid a year, no i didn't get NCB but it mean't by the time i got my VTi which is a group 16 car i can insure it for 1240 TPFT, its only TPFT because the car isn't worth insuring as fully comp yet.

Get a real shitter or go through parents and don't just pay 2k for insurance because you want NCB or what ever, for me at least it worked out cheaper to go under my dads for first part of my driving life.

Also, insurance goes down substantially after 2 years of driving, and i do mean a lot, in my case it was over half.

saxos are bad because so many of them are baz'ed up and drive badly/crash a lot, so are civics (from insurance point of view)

cheap, relativly quick cars to buy/insure are mitusbishi colt cj? (1.6 group 6 i think) almera si (1.4 group 5?) almera sri (1.6 group 7)

You must be fooking joking pal. Saxos are group 3? I really doubt either of those are cheaper than a saxo!

Skoda Felicia estate 1.9D. Beast for carrying bikes around on, good MPG too

at 19, under my own name, fully comprehensive: £1005 ish. Pretty damn happy with that to be honest. Going to be selling it soon though cos of uni. Dont want to though :( I love my car too much hahaha

Quinn Direct are probs best all round company, although custom service is crap. Im 18 0ncb and pass plus 1.6 mk4 astra 600 a year tpff on my own with direct line. :D bargain Come march it will either be a vts, seat leon cupra or similar im hoping. Directline are crap though, they wouldnt insure me on a toyota glanza v as it was import and im under 25, and they want 2 years no claims and 21 to drive a vtr :| i could get insurance on a vtr at 17 without any no claims ha loosers.