New Disc Rotor Design

NVWOCI WVS

right, so basically i want to try designing and making my own disc rotors, possibly to try and market if prototyping if succesful.

just knocked up a quick design idea...

pbpic1520861.jpg

pbpic1520860.jpg

so, any suggestions/improvements before i actually make make a prototype?

and if i test out a proto and feel its reasonably safe anyone else fancy doing some product testing for me in the not-too-distant future?

nothing special about the design really i guess, just want to make them pretty pimpin' and i guess i could sort out some customization if it all goes ahead....

so yeah, comments really?

What are you planning to get them made from?

stainless, got to do a bit more research into material but im guessing high gade stainless is what i want to go for?

hmmm...or would it be worth trying titanium? would titanium be strong enough/ have suitable properties for a trials rotor?

With rotors they really really need to be heat treated and quenched to improve their mechanical properties.

I saw a pre-heat-treated rotor the other day, could be bent by hand easily, and it wouldn't spring back like a 'normal' rotor, it just stayed exactly where you bent it.

Get some proper research on the go to find out what mechanical properties the rotors will need, maybe some force analysis to check the ultimate strength of the material with your design will be strong enough.

Design does look sweet though! I'd run one if it the weight was ok :)

Thank you for the advice, I think i might take a trip down to the engineers near where i live and see what they say. If they reckon it will be ok i might get them to help me with it and possibly get some prototypes made in the next few weeks :)

I'm sure they'll be able to help with the heat treating and everything too.

erm, i'll try and get it sorted out in the next couple of weeks and i guess if it all goes to plan then i should have a dozen or so rotors for testing (Y) the current design is for a 160mm, so if it works this size i'll scale up the design to 180mm and 203mm i guess

cheers guys

I want one with the outside bit of a Hope mono trial, but straight arms, because if you put enough force the wrong way through a disc rotor, the arms can snap.

I'd be happy to do some long term testing of one for you if you need someone to test one on a rear disc. :-

I don't care...

[insert valid excuse here] I'll be using the front one, and you, Sir Muel the stupendously brilliant, can use the rear one! Because your normal and use a rear disc instead of using one of these shitty rim brake type thingemies.

:-

Much better. (Y)

Yeah but...you're gay..cos I want a rear disc. :(

Yeh?! Well I got one first.

And your gay, you've got a fehhooking dengayer.

Are you getting a new frame or making a mount, cos I made one, but I won't make one for you unless you let me test the rear rotor.

EDIT: Actually, I won't make one at all, because A: I'm too buys, and B: You would end up paying me about £2 an hour.

Edited by El Muelio