Some Tech Q's

streetjibs

snapped a chain on the weekend. my much loved 804 wipperman which has lasted almost 4years and been joined/rejoined in numerous places lol!! did really well to last soo long imo.

So i scored a free 911 superlight wipperman chain from sponsor today and counted links to same length as snapped chain. But when i put it on it didnt fit!! Was too tight. So im curious, does the link length change between 8 and 9spd chains... as thats bout the only conclusion i can come up with???

2nd problem.. My bb is loose and my Race Face ISIS bb tool doesnt seem to be long enough to reach the cups to tighten it! Do i need a specially long one for tryall bb's or am i forgetting something??

any tips or advice would be great!!!

im going to try and get another 804 chain tomorrow or similar 8spd one to see if it fixes problem, but stil need bb tool advice.

1) Chains stretch over time. One that's 4 years old (sidenote: do you want to die?! I change my chain every 3 months) will have stetched quite a bit compared to a new one. It's probably due to that stretch that it's now too tight. If you count the same number of links and then hold the chains up to each other, your old chain will probably be an inch longer than the new one. The pitch of the links will have been the same when new though.

2) I had a cheapy BB tool that wouldn't reach my ISIS cups due ot the uber long axle so bought a Race Face one. So really it should work... Did you put the BB in in the first place with the tool?! In which case you must be doing something wrong!!

3) Just get a KMC Kool chain and replace it around every 6 months and you're unlikely to kill yourself...

^^ thanks dude ^^

bb was already in when i got the frame.

got the chain sorted.. did wat u said. was well n truly stretched!

So now im got my 74 kingz hangin way down :( . one thing i luved bout it before was how it was tucked up under the stays... yet if i takeout 1 more link the chain doesnt fit.

Shitty but working :)

ps - iv snapped a kmc chain in less than a year. wipperman last way over a year... il stick with wippermans thx