I Accidently Deleted Recycle Bin On Vista

monkeyseemonkeydo

My GF's new laptop came with it installed and I couldn't see anything that was better or easier than XP. The main differences I noted were 1) It slowed the computer down loads because it's so damn memory intensive and 2) Every time you click on anything it pops up asking you if you're sure you want to do that and flagging up possible security issues. Wasn't having any of that so wiped it clean and put XP on instead...

My GF's new laptop came with it installed and I couldn't see anything that was better or easier than XP. The main differences I noted were 1) It slowed the computer down loads because it's so damn memory intensive and 2) Every time you click on anything it pops up asking you if you're sure you want to do that and flagging up possible security issues. Wasn't having any of that so wiped it clean and put XP on instead...

Its not memory intensive, its memory efficient. It loads up all the programs it thinks you might want so you can open them faster and if you want to open something else it dumps all the stuff from memory (which takes less than 0.1s apparantly) and opens it up like xp normally would. So it actually opens and runs programs faster than XP or at the same speed as XP.

The second thing is the UAC messages asking for perimission every time you want to run an installer, copy some files etc. This can be easily turned off if you want.

If you want full access and no prompts much like xp all you have to do is:

For Windows Vista Ultimate/Business/Enterprise:

1- Click Start, and type "secpol.msc" in the search area and click Enter. (You may receive a prompt from UAC, approve/login and proceed)

2- In the left list, choose "Local Policies", then "Security Options"

3- Set "Accounts: Administrator account status" to Enabled.

4- Set "User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account" to Disabled.

For Windows Vista Home Basic/Home Premium:

1- Click Start, and type "cmd" in the search area, right click on "Command Prompt" and select 'Run as Administrator".

2- In the command prompt type "net users Administrator /active:yes" (Note the capital "A" in Administrator) and press Enter, you will get a confirmation as "The command completed successfully".

3- Click Start, and type "regedit" in the search area and click Enter, navigate to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

Double click on "FilterAdministratorToken" and set it to "0"

Then just rename the account to whatever you want to call it and delete the old one. Far easier than installing XP and you still get vistas better networking features and much better security.

Unlucky on installing XP again for silly reasons :P

Edited by Krisboats

Meh. I'm perfectly happy with XP and couldn't see a single advantage to Vista, particularly when it's fairly new. In a year when they fix all the bugs and release a Service Pack or two maybe I'll reinstall it. If the security is better, it's only until the hackers and virus people haven't had it long enough to expose the weaknesses.

To clarify a bit, my GF's laptop is one of the cheap HP ones going for £299 on ebuyer with 512k RAM. When the box was opened the first thing we saw was the notice from HP saying that to run Vista MS recommends at least 2gb...

Meh. I'm perfectly happy with XP and couldn't see a single advantage to Vista, particularly when it's fairly new. In a year when they fix all the bugs and release a Service Pack or two maybe I'll reinstall it. If the security is better, it's only until the hackers and virus people haven't had it long enough to expose the weaknesses.

To clarify a bit, my GF's laptop is one of the cheap HP ones going for £299 on ebuyer with 512k RAM. When the box was opened the first thing we saw was the notice from HP saying that to run Vista MS recommends at least 2gb...

You can't see the major differences as their encoded into the system. But the security features are there and the networking stuff is a lot better than in XP with the features and efficiency of it. Theres also the things like readyboost that are good features for improving system performance quickly.

Vista also has a more stable driver based system than XP, so it manages them far better than XP did. I've already mentioned superfetch the program caching feature for fatser loading times. Theres a better I/O prioritation in vista, so I/O intensive programs run more efficiently. Playable media is also more glitch free in vista, they've implemented many things to remove the random stutters in video's and streaming media over networks that XP was commonly prone to. Imporved data integrity is another great feature, vista makes back up copies of files and folders so if it becomes corrupt or you delete it you can simply revert to an earlier version and all is not lost. Better application recovery for crashed applications as well as improved measures to try and stop them crashing in the first place. Theres also the start menu based search system thats greatly improved in efficiency and searching ability than the crappy little search function in XP. Theres also a load more features i haven't mentioned because this list is taking me a while to type out.

So yeah, while you can't physically see the new features, they are definately there. Also since vistas release its only had a couple more problems highlighted than XP did when it was first introduced, which when you take into account the way technology is so readily available to everyone nowadays and the amount of people that have the knowledge and ability to find and utilize such flaws it supports the idea that vista is actually more secure than XP was when it was first introduced, and the security risks are becoming less and less frequent as it is.

As to the 2gb system requirement, well... its not a recommended requirement by microsoft at all :PLinky

vista is definatly the way forward it can be a little lagging sometimes but the rest of the time it's super fast and nice to use

windows defender took loads of effort to set up but it hasn't failed me yet and runs quietly in the background unlike other similar programmes

i've got 2gb of ram though might be way different running on less just can't wait till i can afford to go for ultimate

windows defender took loads of effort to set up but it hasn't failed me yet and runs quietly in the background unlike other similar programmes

Yeah man Death to Norton, but yeah vista is pretty awsome for general use far better than xp, just that certain little things get annoying like not being able to find how to change the size of desktop icons for ages lol but thats just my incompetence

I installed windows vista on my HP laptop and now the quickplay buttons and internal webcam dont work, even after i downloaded the driver updates, the barstards could have warned me. :angry:

There is a vista driver compatability test that you can run before installing vista, and you are in fact recommended to run it. It will go through and tell you which drivers and things will work and which won't.