Snail Cams ?

Adam-Griffin

They're spiral shaped and go on the axel like a big washer. They push against a bolt that screwed into the frame (most frames have the hole ready for them). Becuase they're spiral shaped as you turn them there becomes more material between the axel and the bit that's pushing against the bolt, that's what makes the wheel pull back.

That's a shit explentation. :blink:

They're spiral shaped and go on the axel like a big washer. They push against a bolt that screwed into the frame (most frames have the hole ready for them). Becuase they're spiral shaped as you turn them there becomes more material between the axel and the bit that's pushing against the bolt, that's what makes the wheel pull back.

That's a shit explentation. :blink:

I sort of understood that but i think i need a reeeeeeeeeeeely detailed description as its actuially been keeping me awake at night trying to figure it out LMAO !

thanks JT!

Adam

large_07221ti6.jpg

See the red thing, that's the cam. And the black dot is the bolt. You can see how the cam is spiral shaped, so as you push down on the little handle (which is sticking out the back) the distence between the axel and the bolt becomes bigger, therefor forcing the wheel back.

Let me know if you still don't get it.

Edited by JT!

I sort of understood that but i think i need a reeeeeeeeeeeely detailed description as its actuially been keeping me awake at night trying to figure it out LMAO !

thanks JT!

Adam

-The cams fit onto the axle between the hub and the frame.

-there are bolts which screw in the frame which the cams push against (some frame dont have these screw hole, e.g. Zona zip)

-when you spin the cams one way it pushes the wheel back, and the other way loosens the wheel off

-make sure both cams are facing the same way

-then use the lip on the cam to push the cam around to make a force against the bolt

-this pushes the wheel to gain chain tension

Can I just ask how it stays with tension?

Surely hoppping on the back wheel would force the cam the otherway so your chain would slacken pretty quickly

Vee

The monty cams have little notches, and also the axle nut/bolt locks it tight to the frame therefor stoping it from turning.

Adam

Your right there dude. But the cams that don't have them it doesn't matter. Because when the cams are pushing against the bolts it should be rather stiff and tight against the bolt. Now. When you tighten your wheel up with your axle bolts...It's stops the wheel from moving and the cams from leaving the bolts.

Danny.

Your right there dude. But the cams that don't have them it doesn't matter. Because when the cams are pushing against the bolts it should be rather stiff and tight against the bolt. Now. When you tighten your wheel up with your axle bolts...It's stops the wheel from moving and the cams from leaving the bolts.

Danny.

I didn't want to confuse him by adding that there are two different snail cams and that deng one dont have notches. lol

Yeh but surely it would still be able to rotate, my chain tensioner i use to boltup as tight as i could and it would come loose after a good few hours ride

Now i just have a half link chain

Vee

They like to snap....

no, because the frame and hub clamp the cam in place, meaning it cant move :)

Couldn't be more correct :)

Danny.