Upgrading Zoot

StuartD

Hey guys, just got paid so looking to spend most of it on upgrades for my zoot, atm its completely stock!

Just wanted to check on a few things, mainly the stem. Ive ran a search and have seen a few similar posts, would THIS 145 x 25 be a wise choice? or is there any better suited stems?

Is it with upgrading the headset? If so whats a decent one to get?

Any advice on handlebars? theres a few different types, I dont know what the difference between them is/ means as my zoots the only bike Ive riden.

Gonna get a front disk at some point, not sure if Ill get it this month and a brake booster.

Would like to order tonight or tomorrow to get it by monday.

Cheers in advance

Hey guys, just got paid so looking to spend most of it on upgrades for my zoot, atm its completely stock!

Just wanted to check on a few things, mainly the stem. Ive ran a search and have seen a few similar posts, would THIS 145 x 25 be a wise choice? or is there any better suited stems?

Is it with upgrading the headset? If so whats a decent one to get?

Any advice on handlebars? theres a few different types, I dont know what the difference between them is/ means as my zoots the only bike Ive riden.

Gonna get a front disk at some point, not sure if Ill get it this month and a brake booster.

A new bar/and or stem can really change things and improve it for the better. I don't know what the stock setup is on a Zoot, but I can tell I run a 90-100mm stem and (Easton monkey, I think) bars with a good 1.5" of rise, as well as a few stem stackers. What stem does it have at the moment (length-wise I mean)? Higher front end = better for me. A 145 stem would be far too long I think. Since it's more of a streety bike, I would stick with normal a MTB stem and riser bars, but you could try trials bars if you really wanted.

The headset is actually pretty good in them, I'm not sure why you would even consider upgrading it :S (Mine is currently in my XC machine since it's loads better than the one that came with the bike).

What stem does it have at the moment (length-wise I mean)? Higher front end = better for me. A 145 stem would be far too long I think.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=127

I believe its the 75mm one, its short.

And I got the 145 size from the guide in the additional info, the zoot has a 35mm bb rise i belive and that size is the only bracket it fell into.

Cheers for the replies so far guys (Y)

On a Zoot I would recommend something at least 20 degree rise unless you'll be running some pretty high rise bars... the BB is relatively high (the geometry is copied from a frame we originally designed) and the head tube is short. Something like a 120 x 20 stem and some risers would work great for all round stuff, use a slightly shorter stem (90, 100) for more BMX-y type stuff.

On a Zoot I would recommend something at least 20 degree rise unless you'll be running some pretty high rise bars... the BB is relatively high (the geometry is copied from a frame we originally designed) and the head tube is short. Something like a 120 x 20 stem and some risers would work great for all round stuff, use a slightly shorter stem (90, 100) for more BMX-y type stuff.

Hmm... That limits it to something like the System Ex or Simtra stems... Will be in touch soon Ads!!

Dave

And I got the 145 size from the guide in the additional info, the zoot has a 35mm bb rise i belive and that size is the only bracket it fell into.

That's for 26" bikes though. 24" bikes need about a 25mm bb rise just so it doesn't scrape the floor, so +35 is nothing. If you buy a stem like that you'll kill it.

I would try a longer stem, with more height - either by a more sloped stem, or stem stackers if you can, or bigger riser bars. Generally what Adam I would agree with.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments! Do tartys do any 120 x 20 stems? I cant see any on the site, closest I can find is http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=10134 115 x 20. Also this is probably a noob question, are risers spacers? How do I know how many I need and where do I get them from? :unsure:

As for the other upgrades, I will be doing them in time, theres no need for most of them atm as Im still learning the basics but as I progress so will my bike (Y)

Thanks

Also this is probably a noob question, are risers spacers? How do I know how many I need and where do I get them from?

Hey dude, when people talk about risers they're talking about riser handlebars. Trials bars tend to be either flat or riser, the riser ones bending up between the stem and the grip area to give a bit of rise (hence the name!).

Spacers are headset spacers which you put between the top of your headset and the stem to raise the whole stem/bar assembly up.

large_hopehspacers.jpg

As for your headset, I doubt there's any benefit from changing it other than to change the colour ;). Reckon mine will be going black when I get it...

Dave

Hey dude, when people talk about risers they're talking about riser handlebars. Trials bars tend to be either flat or riser, the riser ones bending up between the stem and the grip area to give a bit of rise (hence the name!).

Spacers are headset spacers which you put between the top of your headset and the stem to raise the whole stem/bar assembly up.

large_hopehspacers.jpg

As for your headset, I doubt there's any benefit from changing it other than to change the colour ;). Reckon mine will be going black when I get it...

Dave

Cheers for that, very helpful (Y)

My zoot came with a silver headset, dont know why :huh:

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=127

120mm by 7deg is much nicer.

Get a Cane Creek C2, will last you years, and for bars, monty's or Zoo's seem very popular.

Echo 4 bolts are good rear boosters, and a front BB7 or Monotrial will do you well.

I'd consider a new rear hub aswell, maybe a Pro 2 or a CK.

100% agree

pazzaz stems ***, work on anybike

TGS (tap, gap, sidehop) is what some people refer to the style of riders like CLS and Tunnicliffe.

Not much (if any) spins and more BMX based moves.

Cool, cheers for that. Haven't heard that before for some reason. Reckon I'll be getting Zoo bars if Tarty can't get 28" carbons for me...