Eno Problems.

sex_on_wheels

Degrease, then threadlock.

How are you tightening it by the way?

ok i will do, im tightening iit by taking the crank off then just using a old spoke 2 fit in the hole then turn as tight as possible.

yes as the lock ring keeps the outer shell in place so then it moves out of place meaning the pawls dont engage in the right postition on the teeth. on mine anyway lol.

yes as the lock ring keeps the outer shell in place so then it moves out of place meaning the pawls dont engage in the right postition on the teeth. on mine anyway lol.

The pawls, bearings and mechanism are (should be) held in place with a circlip. I see the lock ring as a glorified nicely anodised dust shield! Clarification Ads?!

The pawls, bearings and mechanism are (should be) held in place with a circlip. I see the lock ring as a glorified nicely anodised dust shield! Clarification Ads?!

Im utterly confused about this now, both are right, but both are wrong:

I had a lock ring which kept unscrewing. It would never skip though, it just rattled around the bottom jingling. BUT I never had a circlip so it never fell out anyway :S

In any case, I just bought a new lock ring, stuck a stabby tool in the lockring's holes and pedalled backwards.

But the lockring is what holds the toothed section of the freewheel tight, if it comes loose or pops off then the sprockety section can move side, or come off which could lead to your pawls and springs flying out.

Mine was loose when I got it (second hand), did it up, lasted for about 3 months and the lockring popped off again, so this time I did it up as tight as possible, and put a bit of Loctite ThreadLock on the thread.

Also bearing in mind that the lockring is a reverse thread, first time I did my lockring back up this confused the hell out of me, and this is an important point in making sure it doesn't come loose.

Often, if the lockring goes on at an angle, it will feel like it is tight and it can't exactly do up, but its only hooked onto the thread (kinda thing), so it can easily pop off.

Just try trial and error man, worked for me.

But the lockring is what holds the toothed section of the freewheel tight, if it comes loose or pops off then the sprockety section can move side, or come off which could lead to your pawls and springs flying out.

On open bearing freewheels that's true- ACS, tensile etc but because the ENO uses sealed cartridge bearings, the bearings themselves are held in place by a circlip, and the lockring doesn't preload the mechanism or bearings at all. That's my take on the matter anyway.