The Universe Discussion

Boswell

Still don't have a clue how people can actually whole heartedly believe in a god/gods/religion.

It's a simple explanantion for people to things that have no answer yet, most things in history have been deemed to have been caused by God until actual explanantions have been found.

Edited by Bondy

It's a simple explanantion for people to things that have no answer yet, most things in history have been deemed to have been caused by God until actual explanantions have been found.

I think it was more to do with that telling people that they will be 'punished eternally for thier sins', was a pretty god way of stopping peasant uprising against the high classes.

I can see the advert on TV now...

Are you an Earl, Baron or King?

Are the peasants avoiding thier taxes?

There's an easy solution!

Convince them all they will suffer eternal damnation if they don't!

We can tell you how for just 3 gold!

Stating that god doesn't exist is effectively the same as stating he does exist at least with regards to knowing. It seems most likely that you can never really know anything, at least completely, until you know everything because until you know everything there is room for something to exist to contradict the knowing you think you possess. To say God definitely doesn't exist is to use the same mechanism as saying he does. It's simply the other side of the same coin

The position which I find most likely, is based on the idea that intelligence creates intelligence, or higher forms of organisation perpetuate themselves. To say that we arose randomly from lower forms of organisation makes less sense to me than that we arose from more complex forms of organisation (other intelligence). Consider humans as an organisation which is highly complex. We create other complex kinds of organisation such as computers, cars, other people (babies). This is perhaps evidence for the principle I mentioned. In this regard, it makes sense that a higher form of organisation constructed us, rather than a 'dead' and 'random' universe. An idea put forward by a chap called Alan Watts, is "atheism in the name of god". This is the idea we shouldn't try and put an image to the idea of god. This sounds like somewhat of a paradox but the point is that perhaps the idea of god as a bearded bloke sitting in heaven is a bit silly - it's trying to comprehend something, in the terms we are capable of, when that something probably exists out of those terms. Instead of saying we know what that intelligence is, we accept that we don't. From this we can enjoy the mystery, rather than looking for security in a definite kind of god with definite rules. I think security is a strong motivation for the belief in a certain kind of god. One that usually talks of definite rules which can guide you and remove the fear from being unsure. Perhaps.

Edited by rowly