The Universe Discussion

Boswell

A few things I can't get my head round -

• How did the biggest explosion of all time (I think :) ) come from no where?
  • Why are we bothering exploring our universe when the human race will be gone in a fraction of its life?
  • Is us finally starting to figure this stuff out and our planet going to shit (global warming, terrorism) a coninsidence?
  • How far will we get realistically get in my life time (16)?
  • Do we even know whats passed our milky way? If so how? If not are we just guessing?
  • Will it ever be possible to time travel?
  • Even If NASA found or have found something amazing would they really tell the rest of the world?
  • Surely one day our natural resources will run out and we wont be able to get into space again?
  • I think the universe may have been designed to keep us on our planet and we some how we surpassed our expectations, anyone agree?
  • Could my life be a dream?
  • When we die we will always be part of the universe in some way or another, right?
  • Will it ever be possible for a human to life forever? I personally think you would lose your mind.

I could go on.............

Edited by Boswell

A few things I can't get my head round -

• How did the biggest explosion of all time (I think :) ) come from no where?

Well it is only a theory not gospel truth, you have to bear that in mind when looking at any science really. This is just an extrapolation of what the unizerse is doing (expanding).

• Why are we bothering exploring our universe when the human race will be gone in a fraction of its life?

Chances are the humans as we know them wont be around for a large amount of time unless we do start to explore, colonise and spread out around the solar system.

• Is us finally starting to figure this stuff out and our planet going to shit (global warming, terrorism) a coninsidence?

Of course

• How far will we get realistically get in my life time (16)?

Colonisation of the Moon "The first four astronauts will land for a short visit in 2020, but it will take until at least 2024 to prepare for a fully functional presence with rotating crews", possibly even Mars if there are no unforseen problems.

• Do we even know whats passed our milky way? If so how? If not are we just guessing?

Telescopes like hubble allow us to see outside of our galaxy

• Will it ever be possible to time travel?

No unless there is someway of making stuff massless

• Even If NASA found or have found something amazing would they really tell the rest of the world?

Don't think anyone apart from NASA would know that for sure, there are bound to be loads of paranoid people around thinking they are hiding aliens or whatever.

last few are silly

My favourite thought is that we're all in a giant came of Sim City, where each person is controlled by someone, in a giant world above ours, so in reality we're all in a computer game, but the graphics and everything is so good.

Doubt it, random I know but has anyone got a telescope? :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe we're expanding due to a 'White Hole', a theory that is the opposite to a black hole by, instead of sucking stuff in, pushes it out...

I doubt it would be 'a' white whole, plus there are many black holes in the universe and the whole universe isnt being sucked into a singularity so....there must be something else that would cause the expansion

ryans brother here

(got bored and im pretty smart)

1.we have proved that we evolved from monkeys due to the common ancestor,the fact of we are homo-sapiens,the last spiecies of the human race.

2.Space is block due to the fact of things absorbing the light(planets)

3.other life?it could be anything,even bacteria really and then again it will probably take to the end of the world before we leave this galaxy

4.how did the universe create is a mystery,people say god,i believe in god but its more imaginary than anything.In the old dasy people said that things fell because of god,now we know its gravity,god is really just what we say to something we cant understand in my view

Hope that helped people

Jordan

How come if we evolved from monkeys, monkeys still exist? Does that mean only certain monkeys evolved?

Because surely they would all evolve may it be at different rates or with different characteristics but surely everything must evolve?

The universe is massive, i think there is definately life out there, may even be another set of us?, but will we ever find them? Probably not.

Its hard to imagine how insignificant we actually are in this universe because, just stop and think, have we ever done anything towards it? Think how small we are!

Humans are not the most important beings on this planet. Nature is the most important thing. Humans can destroy the earth but eventually it wil repair itself.

This discussion is deep!

How come if we evolved from monkeys, monkeys still exist? Does that mean only certain monkeys evolved?

Because surely they would all evolve may it be at different rates or with different characteristics but surely everything must evolve?

The universe is massive, i think there is definately life out there, may even be another set of us?, but will we ever find them? Probably not.

Its hard to imagine how insignificant we actually are in this universe because, just stop and think, have we ever done anything towards it? Think how small we are!

Humans are not the most important beings on this planet. Nature is the most important thing. Humans can destroy the earth but eventually it wil repair itself.

This discussion is deep!

I don't know about the monkey thing but everything will be evolving so monkeys we have now may have just been slightly less evolved back when we were changing from primates to human. Maybe we will see monkeys start to develop into more human like beings.

Evolution is a product of the environment.

If a species lives in trees, then every time an infant is born with a mutation that benefits the animal living in trees, there is a high chance this animal will go on to mate, with the possibility that the infant of that next generation will carry the same mutation, as animals breed this mutation will spread through the species as the older generations before the mutations die out.

Breeding race horse works in exactly the same way. The structure and proportions of the leg make a great deal of difference how fast the horse will run and how smooth it will be. As the small mutations are passed from generation to generation of race horse, they will become gradually more suited to running at faster and faster speeds, because those mutations are benefitting them, and making it more likely they will be used for breeding.

In terms of people and monkeys, I guess ages ago at some point, the environment we were living in it became necessary to outsmart our prey/whatever, which meant we had to become more more intelligent, the intelligent would prosper and more than likely reproduce more than the less smart counterparts. If we were separate from another group of primates, of the smae species, and breeding did not reach the other group, then they would evolve separately, each evolving to suit thier environment, separating the species even more.

If you see what I mean?

Most of them have.

Look at garden birds, Great Tits, Blue Tits, Long Tail Tit, Coal Tit, loads of tits, all the same genus, but evolved differently.

Cows probably haven't always been cows.

And the reason they are other animals is because they have evolved in some way, at one point, they may have been the same species, deer and gazelle for example. It's jsut that they have evolved so far, they are no longer anything like each other.

Cows probably haven't always been cows.

And the reason they are other animals is because they have evolved in some way, at one point, they may have been the same species, deer and gazelle for example. It's jsut that they have evolved so far, they are no longer anything like each other.

this isnt really related to the discussion but kind of is, i dont know wether its me, but i noticed a few months ago, the similarity between cows and hippos, now everytime i see a hippo, i just see how much it looks like a cow(facial features wise)

this isnt really related to the discussion but kind of is, i dont know wether its me, but i noticed a few months ago, the similarity between cows and hippos, now everytime i see a hippo, i just see how much it looks like a cow(facial features wise)

eh? lol

not the everyday sort of sighting..

eh? lol

not the everyday sort of sighting..

youve obviously never been to liquid in shrewsbury then :P

nah i mean on tv, and to back it up, just went and looked at some hippo photos, and found out they eat large amounts of grass. and aparently hippos and cows are sisters(and cousins to the whale) which must be some kind of fecked up family tree.

This discussion is deep!

Jordan once more

this is all to do with Darwins origine of species,survival of the fittest

eg:all animals come from one common ancestor ,that evoled from bacteria,then the'branches'(us)adapt to our enviroment and genetic mutations happen,then one of the branches will die out but another may survive,such as us homo-sapiens.monkeys still exist because we branched off,they didnt.

Jordan once more

this is all to do with Darwins origine of species,survival of the fittest

eg:all animals come from one common ancestor ,that evoled from bacteria,then the'branches'(us)adapt to our enviroment and genetic mutations happen,then one of the branches will die out but another may survive,such as us homo-sapiens.monkeys still exist because we branched off,they didnt.

Shouldn't there be millions of skeletons of our ape/human ancestors?

• 2 weeks later...
This is a picture of just some of the other galaxies in our Universe and we havn't been to any off them! I believe in God but I really can't understand why he would create something so complex. :mellow::blink::o:S:o:blink::mellow:

What else would an unfathomly large bearded man do

Edited by jebend