The Universe Discussion

Boswell

You see stuff because light interacts with the object, as there is physically nothing in majority of space you just see a void of darkness. One question though why is that void black?

You just answered your own question didn't you?... If you turn out all the lights at night it's dark because there's no light... The void has photons travelling through it from stars etc but there are no particles etc there to reflect the light and make it visible.

You just answered your own question didn't you?... If you turn out all the lights at night it's dark because there's no light... The void has photons travelling through it from stars etc but there are no particles etc there to reflect the light and make it visible.

Meh i worded it wrong, that was my best attempt i cant really explain what im asking lol will just have to keep it to myself and keep thinking about it for days. Ok i think this is what im trying to ask, why is the lack of light seen to be black.

Edited by ZeroMatt

Black is what remains in the absence of everything (except dark matter, gravitons and the like)... I'm missing the point still

how did the universe get here, I mean everything creates something. the answer is no one knows?

[sarcasm]In the beginning God created heaven and earth...[/sarcasm]

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

Nooo cause if we were here first then ther would be no where for us technically? another way of putting it is that the earth was created with one organism which evolved and then multiplied and then traveled space, and then landed on another planet? and then evolved again and then repeated until it landed and created us? then we evolve and then move on to other parts of space? Or am I mad?

If that were the case then it'd be totally obvious to see whether other races existed at all on earth as they would have colonised in the manner of their civilisation with lots of technology meaning that we'd have lots of technology that doesnt exist yet for us, but it could be that they over time evolved back to more primative creatures like monkeys and forced the technologically advanced part to leave the planet leaving no trace of their habitation.

Edited by ZeroMatt

Universe defines all energy and particles that exist. So I think it'll have always been there and always will be there. Making the universe infinite.

I personaly could not believe in god creating heaven and earth but god creating life seems possible I certainatly don't believe that god created humans but perhaps the first lifeforms even bacteria could have been created

the reason space is black, has already been answered... there isnt anything for the sun to reflect light off... space has no particles, apart from matter, which noone understands...

If you shine a torch into the sky at night, you cant see the atmosphere, because there isnt anything to reflect the light back to you... if you get what i mean?

I dont beleive in god.

the only things i beleive in that noone understands are:

ghosts (i beleive there is something out there...)

aliens, again, beleive something is out there...

thats it. lol

Universe defines all energy and particles that exist. So I think it'll have always been there and always will be there. Making the universe infinite.

But the Universe which we live in is expanding- it has an edge making it finite. If it's expanding then it started out small hence the Big Bang. It hasn't always been here and a lot of people will tell you that eventually it will collapse in on itself again. However, what the Universe is in (i.e. what exists beyond our universe) I think is probably infinite but the Universe itself certainly isn't.

The whole god thing doesn't even come into it in my mind. Religeon=BS. The bible=BS. And since that's the case then every religeon that has ever existed was created by man purely to try to explain some things that no one can really know for sure- what happens when we die and what the meaning of life is. For the record, answer 1) worm food and answer 2) 43.

I hope your remembering our sun is just a star and there are millions of stars in the universe so it's not just the sun which creates light.

space is supossedly made up of dark matter but no one knows if it's really there because if it was made of dark matter it could just move through things such as the earth and dark matter detectors undetected. almost ghost like.

Edited by Gavyn L

space is supossedly made up of dark matter but no one knows if it's really there because if it was made of dark matter it could just move through things such as the earth and dark matter detectors undetected. almost ghost like.

On a kind of similar note, has anyone read the Phillip Pullman trilogy 'His Dark Materials'. Very good I thought. Quite cleverly written and kind of touches on dark matter and the like.

the reason space is black, has already been answered... there isnt anything for the sun to reflect light off... space has no particles, apart from matter, which noone understands...

So why not build a GIANT reflector to bounce the suns light rays to boost it so we could see into the dark space....Fathopper has very ambcious ideas

I mean how do we know there isnt other planets closer to us which a camoflaged by the darkness

Edited by fathopper

I touched on that earlier. I simply despise the whole god/bible/religeon thing. It actually makes me angry just thinking about it so I'll stop there.

Dave

Yeah, I agree that the bible/heaven is a load of wank, but its in-explainable how the universe got here so i suppose theres still room for something along the lines of god there

Everything isnt perfect :P

Cancer.

Aids.

Iraq.

all our fault to a certain degree

Edited by afroman

So why not build a GIANT reflector to bounce the suns light rays to boost it so we could see into the dark space....Fathopper has very ambcious ideas

I mean how do we know there isnt other planets closer to us which a camoflaged by the darkness

The whole point is that there's nothing in the blackness to see- it would be visible by either telescopes or x-ray telescopes etc. The sun isn't the only source of light out there... We can even 'see' black holes in the universe...

but its in-explainable how the universe got here

Big. Bang. Theory. :D

What outside our universe? ha

Touched on this earlier too- There's no reason to believe there aren't more universes (possibly an infinite number) beyond the edges of our universe. The void between them... well that's anybody's guess. Mine would be absolutely nothing.

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo