Car Tyre Sizes

Radfax

hey,

well i have just bought some 17x7.5 buddyclub racing P1's and i need to get some part work tyres just so i can sit the car on the wheels whislt i get it completed. I know a very nice lad at quick fit who can get me the tyres if i give him the size and since he is doing me a big enough favour as it is i dont want to pester him with tyre sizes.

I want there to be a bit of a stretch on the tyres so i was thinking of some thing like 17/70/--- but i just cant figure out the last number, i rember reading it was one measurement divided by some thing but i am not to sure.

Can any one help me out please? i just need the last number but i am not 100% sure how you work it out!

Thanks a lot!

hey,

well i have just bought some 17x7.5 buddyclub racing P1's and i need to get some part work tyres just so i can sit the car on the wheels whislt i get it completed. I know a very nice lad at quick fit who can get me the tyres if i give him the size and since he is doing me a big enough favour as it is i dont want to pester him with tyre sizes.

I want there to be a bit of a stretch on the tyres so i was thinking of some thing like 17/70/--- but i just cant figure out the last number, i rember reading it was one measurement divided by some thing but i am not to sure.

Can any one help me out please? i just need the last number but i am not 100% sure how you work it out!

Thanks a lot!

jesus mate.... your 'into cars' yet have literally NO idea about tyre sizing?

there isnt a tyre on this earth that starts 17/70.

for example, the tyres on my audi are 225/45/17s.

225 is the width, 45 is the profile, 17 is the diameter.

seeing as its going on a civic, your going to want it lo profile (because all ricers do)

personally, i think stretched look is gay, and just looses you traction.

id be running a 215/40/17 on there.

as your a bit gay, a 205/40/17 would be fairly stretched

if your a super gay, you can get 195/40/17s too.....

remember stretched ISNT cool, and the narrower the tyre the less grip your gona have....

on the audi i wont run anything narrower than a 225. it looks gay on 215s!

yes i realised that 17/70 was impossible after i had writen the post but i had to shoot out! I am into cars, not tyres :P.

i think i may go with the 215/40/17 and just because i sold my mini dones nay make me gay and my car is far from the Rice!

How does to concept of tyre sizing go? why does the diameter go in inches yet the width and profile does not? I used to know the sizes for stretched 13's but since then i have long forgoten!

thanks prawn for the insults and adam for clearing that up!

its a civic, and you want to stick carbon bits all over it? thats RICE.

tyres are part of cars, and, if you think about it, possible THE single most important part, as theyre your only contact with the road. if your into cars, you HAVE to be into tyres.....

i didnt insult you dude..... i just stated facts.

a sensible low profile, decent looking tyre, would be a 215/40/17.

you wanted stretched, which is a little gay, hence my suggestion of 205/40/17

i then said IF, and only IF you are a super gay (which i really hope your not) you COULD get 195/40/17s.....

lets face it, my first post was bloody helpful, not only did i correct your mistake thinking you needed just the last number (youd have looked a right tit asking for 17/70/anything), i also explained how tyre sizing works, AND then went on to suggest THREE possible tyre sizes for your choice of rims, and how each would look on said rim.

if you choose to compromise the saftey and driving pleasure of your little jap 1.4, then be my guest.

personally, i think 16's look best on the EG anyway....

as you can tell, im in a very arsey mood tonight, several thousand wankers who for some stupid reason like football have decended on my city, and forced me to park around a mile from my house. i had loads of work to do on the audi tonight, and now i cant, as i cant even remember where i parked the f**king thing.

Sorry, but carbon on a civic is the furthest point away from rice, ever. Come on nick, your not that narrow minded, go beat some football hooligans up. :(

103.jpg

For example. :) Noting the genuine spoon spoiler, spoon brake calipers, seibon bonnet, genuine advans, genuine spoon lips and a carbon hatch too. Carbon != rice. :)

if you choose to compromise the saftey and driving pleasure of your little jap 1.4, then be my guest.

Amen to both those. Also, stretched tyres on buddy clubs, think your a bit confused as to what 'scene' you wish to be a part of. :)

Get the correct sized tyre's and enjoy the drive, don't enjoy it sitting at a kurb just because you think it looks good. :(

as you can tell, im in a very arsey mood tonight, several thousand wankers who for some stupid reason like football have decended on my city, and forced me to park around a mile from my house. i had loads of work to do on the audi tonight, and now i cant, as i cant even remember where i parked the f**king thing.

Sorry, but, :lol: how awesome. ^_^

You know you'll wake up tomorrow walk out to find it and laugh to yourself, you will. :P

I cant rember that lads name but he is a pretty stocky japaniese fella isnt he? Calls it the banana doesnt he?

Absoloutley love that car but i have never been to keen on therm wheels!

Some Very nice motors were at that BW meet!

EDIT...

I think i got the wrong concept of stretched tyres! I wanted them to be low and slook but didnt really fancy forking ot for some low profiles, so thought streching gave the same effect, obviously wrong so sorry about that.

Learnt from this topic

there are no such tyres as 17/70 some things!

stretched tyres on buddys is NOT cool!

Thanks again for your help lads, problem solved now!

Edited by Radfax

oh my god my girlfriends cousin sold that car last week lol !

Adam

I'm not convinced you are talking about the same car...

Considering the current owner has had that car for forever and a day and is still working on it. The car is also in this months Max Power for anyone silly enough to buy that mag :P

Regarding wheel and tyre sizes, 17's imo are too big on a Civic. I've got 16's on mine and I regret not having 15's as the handling is so much better. Tyre wise you might be forced to run narrower tyres due to them catching on the arches, I've had to do this and run 195's instead of my prefered 205's. This depends on how much the car is lowered as to whether the tyres come close to the arches, but I would imagine in order to make 17's look any good on the car you'll need its bumpers scraping the ground.

tyres are part of cars, and, if you think about it, possible THE single most important part, as theyre your only contact with the road. if your into cars, you HAVE to be into tyres.....

i didnt insult you dude..... i just stated facts.

a sensible low profile, decent looking tyre, would be a 215/40/17.

you wanted stretched, which is a little gay, hence my suggestion of 205/40/17

i then said IF, and only IF you are a super gay (which i really hope your not) you COULD get 195/40/17s.....

lets face it, my first post was bloody helpful, not only did i correct your mistake thinking you needed just the last number (youd have looked a right tit asking for 17/70/anything), i also explained how tyre sizing works, AND then went on to suggest THREE possible tyre sizes for your choice of rims, and how each would look on said rim.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answer. You're answer ain't stupid, but his question ain't either!! If you don't know something you don't know it. There is no "should" when it comes to knowing about cars. You have to learn everything at some point, give him a break!!

And he's asking about tyre sizes, not about advice wit the aesthetics of his car!!!