Importing A Motorbike From Japan?

bikerider

I'm interested in buying a bike from Japan, and would like to know what's involved. It would be a brand new bike, so should have all the necessary documentation with it, but what's involved with taxes, registration etc? It's a trials bike, so doesn't need to be fully road legal, butI would register it for the road etc .

Has anyone had any experience with something similar?

Are there any decent company's in the South that would sort this all out?

Estimate of costs?

thanks

Dan

Unless this is second hand, its simply not worth it. Grey importing is a big no no and I'd strongly discourage it if this is a trials bike you're buying (support importers!).

As much as I know, the laws of the land are that with grey imports, they can only be sold in the country of origin for the first year. It will be tax free, although you'll get f**ked on import tax, P&P, customs charges and everything else they decide to throw on it (and possibility of no warrenty!)

Seriously look at the finances of this, if its some little pit bike then fair enough, but for a full bike it'll probably end up costing you less from a dealership. Theres always hidden charges involved and it could end up costing you dearly. Unless you've got the money to easily afford this bike and any suprise charges, I'd consider other means.

Anything special about this bike that requires an import?

Yes it is a proper bike

Alot of all the extra goodies, and for less than a standard EU one :o

So, is it impossible? or just extremely hard to do?

thanks for your help so far (Y)

Oooh just to add, on the note of supporting importers, I have always bought from UK, however, Sandifords aren't interested in getting these in

May aswell wait until the 2008 Montesa is available over here and update the parts accordingly, there won't be a significant difference from the RTL.

Expect to pay about £5000 for the 08, to import this would probably cost you another £1000 (from Japan), and the modifications will no way cost you £1000 from the UK. Consider the UK spec before importing, very limited details on anything as of yet...so better off to play the waiting game.

But, to evaluate, you stand too loose a lot more by importing and the gains are simply not worth the money or hassle. Remember, if it were that good, everyone would do it. Buy in Britain.

There is a company which imports brand new evos skylines ect from japan and i am sure if you was to contact them or some one similar they would be able to help you out!

All of the importers i have looked at include the registration MOT and tax to get the car on the road because they have to go through one once in the uk and usually the [rices they quote you will be for the bike/car on the road!

i will try and find the dealer i am thinking of for you tommorow if you are intrested?

EDIT...

Just read you are not after a road bike, sorry ignore what i have just said!

Edited by Radfax

May aswell wait until the 2008 Montesa is available over here and update the parts accordingly, there won't be a significant difference from the RTL.

Expect to pay about £5000 for the 08, to import this would probably cost you another £1000 (from Japan), and the modifications will no way cost you £1000 from the UK. Consider the UK spec before importing, very limited details on anything as of yet...so better off to play the waiting game.

But, to evaluate, you stand too loose a lot more by importing and the gains are simply not worth the money or hassle. Remember, if it were that good, everyone would do it. Buy in Britain.

08 Mont details are up, sod all changes yet again. 260 kit including mapper is £900...believe me I wouldn't normally consider this..myself and my Dad have been around motorbike trials for far too long, know far too many faces, to go grey importing. I'd estimate we've had between 15 and 20 new bikes from UK dealers/importers in the last 7 years, and tried all the different mods etc (most of which are a waste of time and money!) The RTL is actually quite a significantly better bike, it has all the mods on it you'd ever want/need, and for less than the standard one (and it looks a ton better than 08 4rt) I've heard a figure of £500 - £600 to get it here and all paper work done?

There is a company which imports brand new evos skylines ect from japan and i am sure if you was to contact them or some one similar they would be able to help you out!

All of the importers i have looked at include the registration MOT and tax to get the car on the road because they have to go through one once in the uk and usually the [rices they quote you will be for the bike/car on the road!

i will try and find the dealer i am thinking of for you tommorow if you are intrested?

EDIT...

Just read you are not after a road bike, sorry ignore what i have just said!

Yes please if you could find the dealer you mentioned that would be great (Y)

Tax wise, you should expect to pay 10% import duty on what you pay for the bike in Japan and then 17.5% VAT (on the Japan price + import duty). Then you will have shipping costs to pay as well.

There may be other fees involved. Certainly when looking at car imports you have deregistration fees (probably not applicable in your case if it's new) in Japan and then registration, conversion and MOT fees when the car is cleared through customs. Also if you use an agent expect there fees to be around £500 - £1000 depending on who you use (amounts based on car importers fees). Again how much of that will apply to you I can't be certain but bear it in mind and note that the top paragraph will apply.

i.e. Bike costs the equivalent of £5000 in Japan. When it get here you must add import duty (5000 + 10% * 5000 = 5500) and then VAT (5500 + 17.5% * 5500 = 6462.50). Then you start adding shipping and all the other "hidden" costs and it soon mounts up.

In my experience, importing is not the "cheap" option, but it does allow you to get a car bike that may be better spec'd than what is available in this country and in the case of second hand vehicles, usually something of far better condition for its age.

• 3 weeks later...